DjangoBooks.com

Django on WHRB Internet Radio (Today and Tomorrow)

Tom LandmanTom Landman Brooklyn, NY✭✭✭✭ 6 strings
edited January 2008 in North America Posts: 93
http://www.whrb.org/ Streaming on the Internet

Wednesday, January 16
5:00 am - 3:00pm
DJANGOLOGY: DJANGO REINHARDT ORGY
The most enigmatic, influential, and free-spirited musician in all of European jazz, Django Reinhardt developed a distinctive brand of continental” swing that continues to captivate listeners the world over. Reinhardt grew up in gypsy encampments outside Paris and from childhood displayed a gypsy’s musical virtuosity — before the age of 18 he was supremely adept at violin, banjo, and guitar. Despite having lost two fingers in a disastrous caravan fire, Reinhardt made his way onto the Parisian club scene and garnered acclaim for his unique sound. After major success in the ‘30s and a post-war American tour, his reputation was secured. He is now considered one of the most distinguished guitarists ever to have played the instrument. We present Reinhardt’s complete canonical recordings, in addition to live sessions and rare European issues, with segments spotlighting well-known collaborators such as Stephane Grappelli and Pierre “Baro” Ferret. (Continues on Thursday.)

Thursday, January 17
3:00 pm THE DJANGO REINHARDT ORGY (cont.)

Comments

• robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    I've been listening! They're taking the full tour of Dj's career with reference to chronology. It's been fascinating.
  • robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    Two days of listening to Django off and on verified for me why he out of all the guitarists in history is considered the pre-eminent gypsy jazz guitar player, bebop guitarist, or if you will, just plain jazz guitarist. I heard material I'd never heard before, played with endless ingenuity, crisp technique, spontaneity, and most of all inspired, soulful expression. There are not enough words...