DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz quartet Tweed at Gulu-Gulu café Saturday

robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
edited January 2008 in North America Posts: 244
The gypsy jazz quartet, Tweed, will be performing the music of Django Reinhardt/Stephane Grappelli and French American swing standards this Saturday night, January 19, 8pm, at the Gulu-Gulu Café in Salem, MA. Tim Weed on violin, Jack Soref and Robert Saunders on acoustic guitars, with Matt Ambrose on upright bass.

The cafe serves a full menu of light main courses, crepes, dessert and cordials, beer and wine, and gourmet coffees.

The original Café Gulu-Gulu was owned and operated by a Frenchman named Frederic Lasne in Prague, Czech Republic between the years 1994—1999. The café was immensely popular for expatriates and locals alike. During the day one could sit, relax, enjoy an espresso, and read for hours on end. During the evening Gulu-Gulu was an eclectic and vibrant gathering place.

247 Essex St, Salem, MA 01970 | phone: 978-740-8882
http://www.gulu-gulu.com/location.asp

Comments

• robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    Chiming in here with more supercilious commentary, but I can't help it...I'm just a gadjo gadfly.

Postmortem on the Cafe Gulu-Gulu gig:
    The gig went surprisingly well, considering that our bass player didn't show up. We nevertheless played great in three, to consistent applause. In fact afterward, we all agreed that even with no PA, no bass, and loud audience conversation that forced us to pick/bow with extreme brute force, we came up to speed and sailed through the evening as if Django himself were there shepherding us along. We drove home from the gig with a good buzz on. :)

-Rob
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    "The Gadjo Gadflies" - nice name for a band.
  • robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    Brilliant observation! I dibs the copyright on it. ;)

In truth, I've been fishing around for a really good gypsy jazz name—I mean really good. It would likely include the word "Gadjo" because for one thing, it's true; secondly it's cool and enigmatic. The next job is to find out the gypsy word for band, group, gang, etc. Anybody know any Romani dialect, specifically manouche?

Here's a name I like the sound of: Gadjo Drom (outsider's journey)

You're watching it here first, folks.

-Rob