DjangoBooks.com

GJ in the Washington DC area

cobaltbluecobaltblue Washington DCNew
edited March 2008 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 6
I'm new to GJ music and wondered if there were any music venues, festivals etc that anyone knows about in the DC area. I'll also be looking for guitar instruction in the style.

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Cobalt:

DC isn't exactly a hotbed of GJ, but it has its fans. Hopefully Joli Gadjo will chime in here as well.

No GJ festivals. Closest thing I can think of is Django in June in Northampton, MA, but it is one of the best festivals of its kind anywhere.

Tom Mitchell is a great performer and teacher. You can catch him and some of his many musician friends at 49 West Cafe in Annapolis, MD on the first Friday of every month. He plays swing jazz in a variety of styles including a lot of Django inspired stuff. Tom also teaches in Annapolis. email me and I'll send you his contact information.

In terms of concerts, we don't get a lot, but John Jorgenson and Dorado Schmidt each make an appearance every year or two. Dorado was here in November. JJ played at Wolf Trap on January 10th and is schedule to appear March 31st at St. Paul's Presbyterian Church in Bethesda (see imtfolk.org for details).

Feel free to email me.

Craig Bumgarner

Craig
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Yep, I am here !
    Thanks a lot Craig !
    Cobaltblue, gypsy jazz musicians are quite rare, or difficult to find... But you knocked at the right door. We'll help you to find what / who you need to !
    I send you a mp.
    -JG
    - JG
  • NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm sort of nearby in Charlottesville, Virginia. But my group The Olivarez Trio will be in Baltimore on the 13th of February at Bertha's. Check out: www.myspace.com/olivareztrio Yes, it's shameless self promoting, but hey....
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
  • woodshedderwoodshedder FlorenceNew
    The Woodshedders are from Harpers Ferry, W.V., about an hour West.

o dig