DjangoBooks.com

Schertler Basik with AER amp: anyone using that combination?

Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
Hi:

Anyone using that combination? If so, how is it working? Any feedback problems?

Thanks,
Charlie

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Neil Andersson used to do that sometimes...and Andreas told me he had used that combo before.

Unlike the DYN, which doesn't sound good at all with the AER...the Basik seems to be OK. However, you won't be able to get nearly as loud as you would using the Basik/Unico combination. The Schertler amps have the Reson control which reduces feeback a lot. So you can get louder and also get a better tone using the Baisk with a Unico. But the AER will work OK too.

'm
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Hi Charlie,
    I tried it today at home and got pretty good results.
    I compared it with a Big Tone on my Nomade. I plugged it into the second channel with the Phantom adapter and switched the Mic/line button to Mic (i think), the first channel was a lot quieter.

The Basik sounds much more acoustic and natural than the BT and has a lot of highs, in fact I had to stick it on the bass side below the bridge and cut all the treble on the AER.The tone was very nice but I couldn't get too loud without getting feedback, though I was right next to the amp so that might change onstage. For the price this pickup is really awesome., but you need a powerful amp.

The Bigtone sounded a lot more artificial but I was able to get way louder before feedback and even then it was easier to control it by turning the guitar in another direction. With the BG/AER combo I have been able to play with a drummer and amplified double bass on a big stage, and keep the amp around half and get a lot of volume and a fat lead tone, I don't love the way it sound for rhythm though and at times it sounds more like an electric guitar than acoustic... but still pretty cool.

I'm gonna try both in combination at a gig the next chance I get and I'll post my findings here, my guess is that the juice is gonna come from the BT and the Basik could add some acoustic color to the mix and maybe with an A/B box you could use it alone for rhythm (which it does handle much better than the BT) and then use both pickups for lead.
    If the place isn't too big, the Basik could probably be used by itself, for both lead and rhythm.
    If you use the PRE AIII preamp in conjunction with the AER/Basik rig then you'd be able to get a lot louder. The Reson control on the preamp helps a lot.

'm
    Thanks Michael,
    I had thought of that, but it's gonna take me a while to raise the money to buy it.
    Right now I'm thinking of a way to turn down/off the Big Tone for rhythm playing and get it right back up for solos. Maybe one of those circuit breaker cables from Planet waves could do the trick... Schatten makes a plug-in volume control called a Black box that could also work... Anyone tried these?

I'm curious though... would a Basik/ PreAIII combo through the AER be louder than the same into a Unico or David?
    Right now I'm thinking of a way to turn down/off the Big Tone for rhythm playing and get it right back up for solos.

Why not just use a volume pedal? These are good:

https://www.shopatron.com/product/part_ ... 25.0.0.0.0

I'm curious though... would a Basik/ PreAIII combo through the AER be louder than the same into a Unico or David?

Would be a bit louder then the Unico and a lot louder then the David. But the tone would probably be a lot better with either Schertler amp. In general, they sound much better then the AER. Just not as loud or small....

'm
    Yeah, a volume pedal would work... although bulkier I like this:
    http://www.morleypedals.com/dpla.html
    It retails for about $80. It uses electro optical switching so it doesn't wear out like the other brands' pots.

The Black box is cool because it doesn't need a battery or extra cables and it's only $50 and very small... though a pedal being hands-free would be more practical.
    http://schattendesign.com/blackbox.htm

I know the Schertler amps will do better with the Basik but right now I still intend to use the Big Tone as my main pickup and I just love how light and powerful the Compact 60 is...

I guess I'll start saving for that preamp so I can have an AERtler ( or would that be a SchertlAER? )

Incidentally, has anyone tried to mount a Basik internally?? affixing it under the top below the bridge and wiring it to an endpin jack or something like that??
    I know I would love a bridge with a built in Basik ala Big Tone... I really like the plug & play convenience...
    http://www.morleypedals.com/dpla.html
    It retails for about $80. It uses electro optical switching so it doesn't wear out like the other brands' pots.

But those pedals have a reputation as being huge tone suckers....they really kill your high end. The Ernie Ball does cut some high end, but not as bad. If you want a volume pedal that has minimal impact on your tone then you need one of these:

http://www.hiltonelectronics.net/hilton2.html

or these:

http://www.tonetronix.com/pc/Goodrich-L ... edals.html

They sound way better then just about anything else. But do still have some small impact on tone.

The best solution is to have an amp with an "insert" so you can have a volume pedal totally outside the chain so it won't effect the tone at all. Schertler amps have this which is a great feature.

I know the Schertler amps will do better with the Basik but right now I still intend to use the Big Tone as my main pickup and I just love how light and powerful the Compact 60 is...

Yeah, that's what's nice about the AER. Light and loud...but the CUB AG-100 is even lighter at 11lbs and can make some noise. But still not as loud as the AER.

'm