DjangoBooks.com

Manouche Mania in NC

chip3174chip3174 New
edited February 2008 in Welcome Posts: 135
Hello Michael and all,

Just wanted to let you know myself and Khono (another GJ guy on this forum) are in the beginnings of creating a GJ Army. We're teaching them right out of Michael's books.

And they are digging it!! Much more so than making them learn "Hot Cross Buns."

I'll post here every now and then to let you know how the ranks are forming...

Chip

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Gypsy Jazz Army! I like it...

Are you teaching kids??? Will you be needing a few thousand copies of Gypsy Picking???:D

'm
  • chip3174chip3174 New
    Nope I don't teach little kids, but I teach a lot of college-age students who are taking guitar as an elective.

In the past, I have tried to get them to read music and so on, but I've been lately just concentrating on showing them gypsy picking technique and arpeggios. They are much more into it than learning Micky Mouse tunes, and most beginner books are intended for little kids anyways. If I do go forward with this approach, I will still show them how to read notation, but only after they can get some fun stuff to play under their fingers. Guess this is some kinda Suzuki/Gypsy thing?!?!

So my thinking is making "Gypsy Picking" required text for all of my students and seeing how it goes...

Chip
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    chip3174 wrote:
    So my thinking is making "Gypsy Picking" required text for all of my students and seeing how it goes...

Wow....that would be very nice of you!

'm
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    don't forget the copies of gypsy rhythm, so the grovemisters can get involved as well!
    B