DjangoBooks.com

I think I have a high fret, What to do?

BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
I'm getting buzz only on the 3rd fret. I put a short straight edge that spans three frets and it rocks when on the 3rd,4th and 5th. Does this mean the fourth one is too high?
If that were the case, Can I fix this myself?...I really don't trust the local repair guys...

Comments

• KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    I had the EXACT same problem on my AJL. It got worse when I properly humidified the instrument, which made me check the truss rod. It was WAY too tight - tight almost to where I was afraid it would snap.

When I loosened the truss rod to the proper tension, the third-fret buzz went away.

This may be a quick and easy fix for you.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    DO NOT USE YOUR TRUSS ADJUSTMENT FOR ACTION ISSUES. INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ONE OR MORE HIGH OR LOW FRETS.

I did that all in caps cus' it's important. Take your guitar to a luthier or tech or even better get it to me to setup for you.

if you want to tackle the project your self get a book on fret leveling as well as the proper tools.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • A.K. KibbenA.K. Kibben Tucson AZ USANew
    Enrique!

Like Josh said! Sounds exactly like you need to get a fret leveling and dressing. Hear me now and believe me later, this is the BEST solution to fret buzz if your neck has the proper relief and adjustment! Having a proper fret leveling takes care of the "buzz" and also really enhances the playability of the fret board. Smooth, fast and furious. I am lucky to have a repairman that does all of my guitars for $60 USD.
    I often refer to Dan Erlwine's 2nd edition of "Guitar Player Repair Guide" as a reference to understanding set up, repair and maintenance.
    Kind of like a shop manual for an auto.

BTW, Did your Dad ever make it up to Tucson?
    Would love to hear, see and play both of your Duponts!
    Look me up when ever your up in Arizona!
    May be planing a trip to Guaymas soon w/ two other GJ guitarist for a weekend of fishing and Djamming on Chip's boat.
    Also may visit my son Eric who teaches French in Ciudad Obregon!
    I know it a travel for you, but a good time w/ friends, music, sea food and Cerveza on the Golfo De California!

Best,

Allin...

Oh Yeah! You going to DFLA this year?
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Thanks guys,
    I've just a hair of relief, would like a bit more but the trussrod it's very hard to turn in either direction (?), it seems to me it should be almost effortless to loosen it up but... I sure wouldn't want to hear anything snap..

A lot of the buzz came from the bridge slots being cut too deep, so I removed some wood from the top and things improved a lot, Right now I'm mostly getting a dead-ish note on the high E at the 3rd fret and some buzz on the fifth string on the first five frets.

I still think the fourth fret is high but the problem now is loosening the trussrod to get relief... it's now almost completely straight... Should I apply more force? I tried oiling it but it did not improve things much...
    The buzz is not so bad but would be great to get it better.

Josh, I'd take the guitar to you in a second but it's a long way from here, maybe if we meet at a festival and you got your tools with you we can arrange something.

Allin, I don't think I'll make it to LA this year...lack of funds... however I have an uncle in Guaymas, it's a long shot but maybe someday we can get together and I'm sure we'd have a great time.
    My father was indeed in Tucson but only for a weekend.
    Let me know if you're ever in Mexico City.

Thanks.

So any ideas about helping the truss rod?? Brute force?? Leave it be??
  • KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    I've just a hair of relief, would like a bit more but the trussrod it's very hard to turn in either direction (?), it seems to me it should be almost effortless to loosen it up but... I sure wouldn't want to hear anything snap..

Since I was the first to mention the idea of adjusting the truss rod (and it worked *in my situation*), I will also be the first to say DO NOT FORCE THE TRUSS ROD.

No, you certainly do not want to hear the tell-tale snap (and feel the sickening instantaneous slack) of a truss rod that's been over adjusted. Get thee to a good luthier post haste. Yours MAY be an over tight truss rod; it may be something else. What worked for me may not work for you. Every instrument is as unique as a person - even factory made models.

Keep us updated.
  • A.K. KibbenA.K. Kibben Tucson AZ USANew
    Truss rods on occasion can come to the end as far as adjustments...
    DO NOT FORCE! Depending on the rod, a qualified repairman can add "washer shims" from the head of the adjustment nut to allow for more "thread adjustment". Make sense? Ask Josh and Bob for a definitive answer on this...
    I've seen this done to a Hommage...
    A.K.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Well, I finally got the trussrod to turn, counterclockwise, and got now a healthy relief. It was a matter of patience, not force. I think it was just a bit dry because once it turned it worked smoothly.

I also changed a bad A string, fixed the nut slots (again too deep and not properly shaped), shimmed the nut (no zero fret on this guitar) and shimmed the neck (one of the advantages of a bolt on) and now my guitar plays great!! With practically no buzz.
    It would still benefit from a fret dressing but that will have to wait until I can see a competent repairman.

Thanks for all your suggestions.