DjangoBooks.com

two more questions...

edited April 2005 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 145
about arm placement:

so i've been switching around to find a good position for my arm. i was wondering should the elbow be floating in front of the guitar, or aligned with it or maybe even behind it? i know this influences the angle your wrist has to bend. in the book it almost looks like michaels' elbow is behind the top of the guitar.

another quesiton is regarding upstrokes: they're just too wimpy sounding and when i try to add more force, it gets out of control. how would i achieve a more even tone without compromising control?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    about arm placement:

so i've been switching around to find a good position for my arm. i was wondering should the elbow be floating in front of the guitar, or aligned with it or maybe even behind it? i know this influences the angle your wrist has to bend. in the book it almost looks like michaels' elbow is behind the top of the guitar.

In general, the elbow/bicep area of your arm rests on the lower bout of the guitar. It's a little different depending on your physiology and the size of the guitar. In the Gypsy Picking book photos I have a relatively small Dunn guitar. Also, I'm 6'2" so my elbow ended up being farther back then it is on my much bigger Favino.
    another question is regarding upstrokes: they're just too wimpy sounding and when i try to add more force, it gets out of control. how would i achieve a more even tone without compromising control?

If you totally follow through you should get a strong up stroke. If you watch Stochelo closely he does accented upstrokes with a HUGE follow through.

Good luck!

'm
    so i shouldn't worry too much about getting to an inch above the next string that i'll be hitting? it's ok to exceed that?

and the elbow thing... so the way i have it now, i've got my bicep, or inside of my bicep resting against the guitar and that's ok? the inside of your elbow shouldn't contact the guitar right?

sorry for the bombardment! i swear i'll need less help later! :roll: haha

and kinda off-topic but michael, would happen to know any gypsy swing players from vancouver BC? all i know is there's michael dunn and i have no idea where he plays.

i feel there has to be some sort of gypsy jazz scene going on here but i'm having a hard time finding them and getting involved.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    so i shouldn't worry too much about getting to an inch above the next string that i'll be hitting? it's ok to exceed that?

For accented strokes you can exceed the inch limit. But for eighth-notes, especially at faster tempos, you'd better keep it around one inch. You should be able to get enough volume that way.
    and the elbow thing... so the way i have it now, i've got my bicep, or inside of my bicep resting against the guitar and that's ok? the inside of your elbow shouldn't contact the guitar right?

I don't have a clear yes or no answer. I'd have to see you play. My bicep and part of my elbow make contact. I think that's pretty normal. I'd say the most important thing is that your right hand ends up in the position described in the book. If not, make the necessary elbow adjustments.

and kinda off-topic but michael, would happen to know any gypsy swing players from vancouver BC? all i know is there's michael dunn and i have no idea where he plays.

i feel there has to be some sort of gypsy jazz scene going on here but i'm having a hard time finding them and getting involved.

You should contact Shelly Park. She's in Vancouver and knows the scene there. There's also a lively scene in Victoria. Chris, the guy who does the DjangoFest websites, lives in Victoria. He's a good player...call him!

'm
    thanks a bunch! don't know what i'd do without you, or this place!