DjangoBooks.com

videos of a young Tchavolo

NakNak New
edited March 2008 in Welcome Posts: 14
i stumbled across these videos today of tchavolo. curious to know when they were recorded. maybe early-mid 80's?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=9

http://www.dailymotion.com/related/x11n ... s?from=rss

Comments

• AmpsmasherAmpsmasher Oakland, California✭✭✭ Christelle Caillot
    Im pretty positive that isnt tchavolo schmitt, the recording quality is pretty good too. Unless its another Tchavolo??
  • NakNak New
    you know, i think you're right. i watched it again and now it doesn't look like him anymore...what was i thinking?!
  • NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭
    I dunno, I'd say it is Tchavolo. It's hard to tell from the playing as he's (mostly) playing Django's solo from Les Yeux Noir, but the right hand and the Tchavolo-isms ( like how he turns his head to the side when he's doing a long tremolo at the end) say it's him (unless it's Tchavol O'Sullivan from Boston)
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Ampsmasher wrote:
    Im pretty positive that isnt tchavolo schmitt, the recording quality is pretty good too. Unless its another Tchavolo??

I'll have to look at the video, but it's possible it's Tchavolo Hassan...if you've got the DFNW dvd of Angelo he's playing rhythm on it...

best,
    Jack.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    ... the Tchavolo-isms...

LMAO.... yes, I thought the same thing - it sort of looks like a really good Tchavolo Schmitt impersonator until you start thinking about what he probably looked like 20 years ago. There's a guy named Frank Calliendo who does both John Madden and George Bush impressions - sometimes switching back and forth between the two - it's almost like watching him physically take a different form - posture - gestures - movements etc...

Great videos at any rate - off the cuff - not overly polished - pretty much what happens when two guys just get together and start playing - I love that kind of stuff. Thanks for pointing them out, Nak.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    As far as Tchavolos go, I'd say he's pretty off-brand.

Our Tchavolo is a very handsome man with a rounded skull, a forehead in which the ridge of the brow turns over the eye sockets, a low hairline, ears that are flat against his head, and a prominent chin. This man has a broad forehead and high hairline, a ridge that goes straight over the eyes, ears that jut out from the head and are cupped like many French men, and a slightly receding chin which he balances with a beard. Tchavolo plays with almost a hunched, shoulders up posture with several characteristic riffs, none of which are done. He also has a signature 'Liberace' upswing at the end of a chord sometimes, also missing, along with his bouncy overall approach. When you add up the evidence along with the fact that he almost never takes his eyes off his left hand, there is very little here of this fellow that points toward Tchavolo Schmitt and much that points away.
  • favino881favino881 Strasbourg, France✭✭✭✭
    These guys are from Belgium and they posted their own renditions of "Minor Swing" and "Les Yeux Noirs". It was captured on tape a few weeks or monthes ago.
    It is not Tchavolo Schmitt in any way! The poster of the videos does not even claim it is Tchavolo Schmitt... and you can be sure he would have if it really was young Tchavolo Schmitt footage!!
  • DiggerDigger New
    Elliot wrote:

Our Tchavolo is a very handsome man with a rounded skull, a forehead in which the ridge of the brow turns over the eye sockets, a low hairline, ears that are flat against his head, and a prominent chin. This man has a broad forehead and high hairline, a ridge that goes straight over the eyes, ears that jut out from the head and are cupped like many French men, and a slightly receding chin which he balances with a beard. Tchavolo plays with almost a hunched, shoulders up posture with several characteristic riffs, none of which are done. He also has a signature 'Liberace' upswing at the end of a chord sometimes, also missing, along with his bouncy overall approach. When you add up the evidence along with the fact that he almost never takes his eyes off his left hand, there is very little here of this fellow that points toward Tchavolo Schmitt and much that points away.

Observation par excelance(sp?) and quite possibly 'post of the month'. :mrgreen:
  • NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭
    Elliot wrote:

Ai Caramba!! Nice work Detective! (ps, you're great on CSI Miami) javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Thanks. We try to keep the gypslexia to a limit around here.

Actually, the part where he says "I could use a Zima right now" in French was what tipped me off.