DjangoBooks.com

How many guitars?

badjazzbadjazz Maui, Hawaii USA✭✭✭ AJL
Please help me settle a dispute. How many guitars do you personally own? What do you think the average number is among guitar players?

Comments

There are times when I wish I only had one, and then there are times I wish I had them all ... so I guess somewhere in-between would work. :wink:

So, what dispute are we putting to bed?
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    badjazz wrote:
    Please help me settle a dispute. How many guitars do you personally own? What do you think the average number is among guitar players?

So how long have you been married?

best,
    Jack.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    11 years, 14 guitars - vast majority of which are GJ & archtop.

I've decided to trim it to 6 if I can... which actually is a tall order. Realistically I'm pretty much exclusively playing two of them at this point - head over heels with both of them and the only thing that's tough is deciding which one of the two to play. For my first four years playing guitars I had a good corporate job & the most raging case of guitar acquisition syndrome you've ever imagined... a truly dangerous combination.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • badjazzbadjazz Maui, Hawaii USA✭✭✭ AJL
    ok, I guess this won't settle the dispute -- my wife has informed me that this poll is like asking an addict how much crack it is ok to smoke each day. Myself, I currently own a mere two guitars, one of them a made-in-mexico stratocaster that barely qualifies. I guess I've become a minimalist, but I have guitar-acquisition-bipolar-disorder: buy buy buy, sell sell sell.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Last time I checked out they were 21 not including a banjo guitar. Then there are the mandolins, the fiddles, the bouzouki, the fretless bass and stuff. No wife, of course: I got no room for that... :)
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    "That's okay...I still got my guitar..." - Jimi Hendrix
  • KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    "That's awright...I still got my guit-steel..." - Junior Brown
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Over the last 12 months I have rid myself of about 15 instruments

I am down to one 1959 Guild M-20

Over the next 12 months I will add another

Sel Mac clone

An archtop

A cavaquinho

Perhaps a Gretsch

and a classical/flamenco

and that will be all I will need

If I had to choose 1 it would be the classical/flamenco
  • CampusfiveCampusfive Los Angeles, CA✭✭✭✭
    I had 10 at one point, but got rid of a few things. Realistically I could be happy with 7:
    (that I already have)
    1. A selmac (my short-scale petite bouche LeVoi)
    2. An acoustic archtop (my 16" Eastman non-cut)
    3. A solid body electric (my '96 Les Paul Std.)

(that I really want)
    4. An electric archtop (either an ES-150, or something to put my CC pickup in)
    5. A Tricone
    6. A Tele (a '52 RI or a '51 Nocaster)
    7. An OM or OOO (probably some kind of Martin, although a Santa Cruz or Collings would be great too)

The LP and the OM/OOO are/would be the least necessary to me. I have two archtops w/pickups - an Eastman 810 w/a DeArmond, and an Ibanez Pat Metheny. The neck on the 810 went haywire after some serious climate issues, so it needs a complete refretting, and the Metheny is great, but mostly kept for sentimental and backup reasons. I have a CC pickup but haven't had much finding something to put it in. Off topic but, any suggestions?
  • badjazzbadjazz Maui, Hawaii USA✭✭✭ AJL
    Campusfive wrote:
    I have a CC pickup but haven't had much finding something to put it in. Off topic but, any suggestions?

I've thought about buying an old L-50 and putting a CC pickup on it. That's all the es-150 were, basically. I've seen people do it carefully and actually have a guitar that is hard to distinguish from a real es-150. What about one of those 'the loar' archtops? My friend who goes to NAMM says that they sound like crap, but maybe with a pickup they'd be worthwhile?

The catch is that you need an X-braced guitar to fit the pickup in, right?