DjangoBooks.com

SKB 18RW ATA Flight Case

Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
Does any one know anything or own this new case? I can't find any info online other then the description and an out side shot. I would like to see in the inside and know a bit more about how the thing is lined.

The one review I found looks to be a caned one trumped up my the manufacturer.

Cheers

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    The run down on the case

Fit: I am using this case for a Patenotte 256 and the fit is perfect. I didn't have to modify or add any foam spacers at all.

Interior: Green plush interior with about 2 inches of foam all around. The lid has a recess for the bridge. The neck cradle is nice and wide and the top fits down with just the right amount of support. The cargo box on the inside is about normal size and maybe just a bit bigger.

Exterior: All 4 heavy laches are recessed as well as the hinges. There are two rails that go all the way around the case protecting all exterior hardware as well as the handle. The closing edge is heave aluminum with a fully sealing rubber bead all around to keep moisture out. All 4 latches lock to keep them from popping or prying open. The handle is well built and very comfortable to cary.

Over all: The case is a bit heavy but this is to be expected for a case made to put on the plane. The wheels roll really nicely and the recessed handle on back upper end of the case works well for rolling the case along. Also SKB will pay $1500 if there is damage to the guitar while using the case. All in all this case looks great and feels supper solid. I'll let you know after using it on the plane if it works as well as it looks like it will.

I would be glad to send any one pictures of the case if they are interested. I could not find any good photos of this case on line and non of the retailers knew much about it. It is a new case and not many people have them on hand.

Cheers
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    skb18rw.jpg

I actually saw and used a plastic flight case in person which **** had showed me, which is another option. the Favino I used to have would fit into the case perfectly. I opted to get one of his 17" bout regular cases instead. the flight case was ok though...
  • pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    what's the make/model of the case pictured in that last post?

Thanks in advance.

-p
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Did anyone ever figure out what make and model that is in the picture? It looks very promising.

The JPG file is called "skb18rw.jpg," but it doesn't look at all like that model.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I am not sure of the model but I know my friend usses it for his 6 string Warwick thumb. I ccan find out tomorrow when I get to work.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    After prolonged searching, I finally tracked it down. It's an SKB-44RW Electric Bass Safe. The copy says, "Your bass is inserted, Gig Bag and all, into this indestructible airline safe shell ..."

Specs are:
    Overall Length: 48 1/2"
    Body Depth: 4 3/4"
    Lower Bout: 16 3/4"
    Weight: 13.2 lbs.

Will a typical Selmac fit into this? Mine hasn't arrived yet.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles