DjangoBooks.com

New Member in Search of DG340 Owners

Hi and thanks to Josh and Michael for this great forum- I’ve been spending a few days reading through the different topics and have learned a lot about Gypsy jazz guitar and its enthusiasts. I’ve just now joined the forum. Being a fairly experienced player in jazz, blues and other styles, I am a newcomer to the study of jazz manouche. Although I had listened to Django Reinhardt off and on over the years, I hadn’t really focused on his music until recently, after being blown away by Andreas Oberg’s bebop playing. Seeking some insight into his technique led me to DjangoBooks and to Gypsy Fire. Six months into the book, some of the technique is leaching into my playing and I’ve recently ordered the DG 340, in order to dive in headfirst. In the process, I’ve discovered some great players who are passionate about this art and are keeping the Django legacy alive- and many are quite young. How exciting!

Now, the question: who among you are playing the new Stephane Wrembel Modele DG 340 and are you happy with it? I noticed one of the forum members has already reported back after receiving his. (Olive, je sais déjà combien vous aimez votre nouvelle 340 !) Mine is on back order and I am anticipating its arrival with much enthusiasm and with as much patience as I can muster. Best regards,
Bill
www.billbarnestrio.com
"Listen to this, it speaks like a cathedral!"- Django, on the Selmer (from Michael Dregni's Django, the Life and Music of a Gypsy Legend)

Comments

• KoratKorat NetherlandsNew
    I have one. It has a Josh Hegg bridge, so it is not standard.
    Josh also did a setup job, settting the string to a level where they are low enough to play comfortably, but not losing on the output.
    I'm happy with it. Used it live twice now, and it delivers. :P

It has one drawback. The top is more arched than a standard Gitane,
    so the case a really tight fit.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
  • Bill BarnesBill Barnes New HampshireNew
    Thanks, Korat, that's good to hear. My 340 deal includes a custom bridge and a DR tailpiece upgrade along with Josh's celebrated setup, so I think it will be a beautiful thing when it finally ships. The increased arch you mentioned is a plus in my book and the Golden Gate deluxe case should accommodate that. Thanks again for the input. I can't wait!
    Bill
    www.billbarnestrio.com
    "Listen to this, it speaks like a cathedral!"- Django, on the Selmer (from Michael Dregni's Django, the Life and Music of a Gypsy Legend)
  • KoratKorat NetherlandsNew
    I actually have the same case for my guitar, and it really is a tight fit.

I compared the top with a DG 255 and a DG250M a friend of mine owns and the D G340's is quite different. Not only more arched, but of a different type of wood also. My friend claims it is what a genuine GJ guitar should have. As I do not know a lot about that sort of thing I just take his word for it.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
  • Bill BarnesBill Barnes New HampshireNew
    Again, I appreciate your input, Korat. Hope the case gets to fit more comfortably over time and your new GJ box continues to open up and improves with age.
    Bill
    www.billbarnestrio.com
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the good words.... One thing on the case for this guitar. I just got in a Guardian case that seems to have a bit more arch in the top that fits the guitars with a greater top arch well. New discovery... Also the 340 is a great guitar. I have had about 6 so far on my bench since they were released by Saga. The first was Michael's and we did allot of work to that one so I got a great chance to look inside and get to know her. They are well made and they sound great... not quite as loud as a DG-300 but the tone leans to a more traditional gypsy tone. Plenty loud to jam with in the circle at DFNW.

Cheers,
    Josh