DjangoBooks.com

Stimer pickups

ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
I've been thinking of getting a Stimer 48 for awhile, and have a question for those of you that own one or have used one. What is the exact height of the pickup (in millimeters) from the top of the soundboard to the top of the pickup itself?

Also, can these pickups be used with an electric amp as opposed to an acoustic amp? I have an old Fender Electric amp that has been gathering dust for some time, and want to know if the Stimer was only specifically designed for one type of Amp.

I have a couple of different Oval Hole Selmers I would like to use it on, and I want to be sure it will fit each of them respectively. I would hate to purchase one without knowing the exact measurements and dimensions, as I can find no information on this.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• SorefSoref Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I'm not sure of the dimensions, but I can tell you a stimer will most likely work very well with your fender amp. The original Stimer pickups were made to be played in conjunction with Stimer's own amp. Those were old tube amps, I'll bet your fender will sound good. The first time I saw Stephane Wrembel he played his through a little Marshall and it sounded great. I have a friend I gig with from time to time who's been using his with a Fender Deville, and it sounds awesome. I'd really like one so I'd love to hear what others who know more have to say.

regards,
    Jack
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, if I remember right Fenders are used pretty regularly with Stimers and the like at places like La Chope in Paris...using an 'electric' amp should actually be preferable; the Stimer isn't meant to reproduce an acoustic sound.

good luck,
    Jack.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    This is from a reply I wrote to someone asking about Stimers a while back;
    The Stimer(48 reissue) is about 6-7 mm thick, as long as it is not taller than the frets it should be okay.
    I use one with my Gitane DG-250 and works fine though the high C and C# on the first string can't be played...
    One way to deal with this is to flip the pickup so the volume is on the bass side, which may also be good for the control to not get in the way of your picking hand. Try it.
    Look as this picture.

Hope that helps!
    PS I used to use mine with a Fender Pro Junior with good results, and you can see in the pic Angelo's plugged into a Twin Reverb so...