DjangoBooks.com

Serge Krief's interview

YannYann Luxembourg (Old Europe)New
edited May 2008 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 47
Hello,

I'm so happy Serge accepted to answer some of my questions...

http://www.serendipity-band.com/misc/manouche/interview/krief-en.htm

He's one of those musicians who have understood the essence of Django's music. He's one of my favourite guitarists actually! :)

Yann
My own Manouche guitar page in the works: http://www.serendipity-band.com/misc/ma ... toc-en.htm

Comments

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    That was fun to read. Thanks!
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Serge Krief is the best !
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I like the way he sounds. With gypsy players, I see 2 different types. I hear players that are more melodic, jazzy, bepop sounding, sorta like Django was and then I see players who seem to be more lick based, muscle memory based, square sounding, dry. Of the two, I prefer the latter because it is different and not like every other jazz player on earth...

I think Serge sorta fits into the latter, as well as Paulus Schaefer. I think these players are more "cutting edge" and have a newer sound.

I would put Stochelo, Romane, and Wawau in the more melodic category. I would call them "traditional".

I would put Moreno and Angelo right in the middle.

I would put Bireli and Andreas in another completely different category from an alien world.

[Im just playing here. You dont need to take my comments seriously. I just like thinking about these things.]
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    I think there are a lot of similarities in Serge Krief and Wawau Adler approaches to phrasing
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Thanks for that Yann, I enjoyed it.
    keep 'em coming!