DjangoBooks.com

preamp wanted

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
Hi all,

I need to get a preamp. I've never had to use one before, so I wonder if anyone has advice...I've heard good things about the Baggs line, but there seem to be a boatload of models--any specific recommendations? I'm hoping to keep it under $100-150 or so, if that's possible, and if anyone has something to sell let me know!

thanks,
Jack.

Comments

LR Baggs PARA DI is the standard imo. Can be used in so many different applications and any acoustic instrument with a pup. I never gig without mine.

http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/preamps_paradi.shtml
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Chris--what are you using it with? I need something I can use with a low-gain pickup; can you give me an idea of volume boost the Baggs gives?

thanks,
    Jack.
    I use it with a passive Schatten. It does the trick in every situation so far.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    ok, your asking for it. why not just use a BigTone and get rid of your worries?
    I am, but it's one of Josh's Deluxe models which aren't as loud as the stock bigtones. My old guitar has a stock bigtone I've been using for years without a preamp, but the new one isn't quite loud enough for the gigs we're playing.

best,
    Jack.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    You're using the David amp, right? The Deluxe is fine with more high powered amps like the AER, Evans, or Acoustic Image. The David is a great sounding amp...sounds better then the AER IMO, but it does lack headroom. So that's the problem.

For great tone AND a lot of gain the Super Bigtone is the way to go. Otherwise, there's a compromise. The stock bigtone is high gain but the tone is not as good. The Deluxe has the best tone but low gain. The Super has good tone...although not as good as the deluxe. But is high gain, so it's the best compromise.

Oi...This stuff will drive you nuts after a while!!!

'm
    Yeah, I'm using a David. I couldn't afford the higher priced bigtone at the time, and took a chance that the gain would be enough on the Deluxe. Oh well...Michael did warn me I might need a preamp when I ordered it, so here I am. Hopefully I can find a used one that's not too expensive.

best,
    Jack.
    LR Baggs PARA DI is the standard imo. Can be used in so many different applications and any acoustic instrument with a pup. I never gig without mine.

Man...I picked one up today figuring I could return it if it didn't do the job. What a difference! I've suddenly got the best and most easily adjustable tone I've ever had; it's hard to believe I've been playing so long without it. Thanks for the tip, Chris.

best,
    Jack.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Hey Jack,
    Did you install the Deluxe Bigtone on your new Hommage??
    I'm very curious about both the guitar and the pickup.
    Could you please post some kind of review or opinions about them??
    Jack wrote:

Man...I picked one up today figuring I could return it if it didn't do the job. What a difference! I've suddenly got the best and most easily adjustable tone I've ever had; it's hard to believe I've been playing so long without it. Thanks for the tip, Chris.

best,
    Jack.

You're welcome.

btw, here's a nifty idea for keeping track of settings. I haven't done it yet, but it's cool ...

Got these off another forum. The OP said he used index cards and then laminates them. He uses different cards for different guitars/instruments.
    IM000315.jpg
    IM000311.jpg