DjangoBooks.com

Broken strings

SimoniusSimonius New
edited May 2008 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 68
Usually I never break strings but since I started using the gipsy picking technique I've broken a couple of low E strings. At the moment all I have to play on is a western guitar with regular strings. And it's not some kind of sharp thing on the guitar. Ofcourse the attack is much harder and louder although you don't really notice, since it's done with relative ease. I wonder what the reason is. Playing TOO hard? Or is it regular to break strings (I had them a while) in this style? Or is it because I'm playing the wrong strings?

Oh yeah, I'm going to buy a Gitane soon, but for now, all I have is a western guitar, yet I play exclusively Django-style jazz. Would I benefit from putting gipsy strings on the western guitar?

Comments

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    its most likely the way the string slots are cut. there is probably a sharp edge in the string slots. i would swap out the bridge temporarily with a replacement bridge and see if the problem goes away. the biggest hint for you is the location where the string breaks. there is no mystery here.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hard to say what's causing the string breakage. You may need to check your bridge slots like Jon pointed out. Or just use heavier strings.

Argentine strings don't really work on flatop guitars. Stick with bronze for now.

'm
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Yeah, if they are breaking at the point where they pass over the saddle it's because the slots are not properly shaped or have developed small edges...A good way to fix this is buff them up lightly with a very thin sandpaper and afterwards put a little graphite from a pencil on them, just pass it over and paint the inside of the slots.

If they're not breaking at the bridge something else is happening, old strings probably.

The gypsy picking is more aggressive than other plectrum techniques but you shouldn't be using much force, certainly not enough to break low E's.
  • SimoniusSimonius New
    What was I thinking there, I mean the high E string. :lol: Yes breaking low E's would be quite impossible. Well I'll check the bridge, thanks very much all.