DjangoBooks.com

Sheetmusic for Clarinet

edited May 2008 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 193
Hee.

My getting into gypsy jazz guitar book by stephan wrembel arrived today :D and I started learning some rhythm and trying to learn a track. My mom plays clarinet for 5 years now and she wanted to play some django tunes :D also so I thought , hee maybey we can play together. But she only can read sheet music, so does anybody know where I can find Django sheet music for clarinet (douce ambiance, belleville etc..) , i searched everywhere but its almost impossible to find something for clarinet. :D

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I think Django's stuff is mostly written in C. I've never seen anything transposed to horn keys.

'm
  • WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    I've had similar issues in playing with Bb instrumentalists. You simply need to create a lead sheet up a whole step from your original.

All you have to do is transpose every note up a whole step, meaning a C becomes D, C#/Db becomes D#/Eb, D is E, etc. If you know your keys, you are simply then just playing in a key up a whole step from your original key (for example, if you do Exactly like you in C, then you'd need to have a chart in D for the clarinet & you to make music)Aside from transposing every note in lead sheet up a whole step, these are some other options:

1) "Band in a Box" (computer software). If you have BIAB you can upload your desired django tune and simply select the transpose option to switch your key, then print out the head in the Bb key. For example, if you have "Exactly like you" in C, change the key to D, and presto, you've got your lead sheet for the clarinet (or any other Bb instrument).

2) Another option is if you already have sheet music written for C instruments, you could transpose a rhythm chart for yourself down a whole step, (for example, if the Clarinet reads a lead sheet for Exactly like you in the key of C, then make your rhythm chart in Bb and you will be playing together)

3) Another shortcut option is to de-tune your guitar down a whole step (make the tuning D G C F A D ) and read your usual rhythm chart in C, and have the clarinet read the lead sheet in C as well, and you guys should be fine.

The best option would be to tranpose everything mentally, as the more you'd do it, the easier everything would become until the process would become second nature. The only drawback is you might get headaches for a while (but it'll save you a lot of time from printing things out or writing out tons of new charts).

Hope this helps,
    YEAH, Thanks man !! :D
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    I am lucky enough to have a clarinet player who simply doesn't care. If you play piano it's just like reading it in F-clef which as WowBobWow explained very well, is just one whole step higher : Bb -> C (that's why it's called Bb instruments).
    - JG