DjangoBooks.com

cigano cj10 or D-500, for a newbie

Just getting into GJ and I have a chance to get a silly price on a used D-500, cheaper than a new CJ-10.

Is it better to get the used Gitane? As a jazz and rock player I play both rhythm and lead, and a lot I've seen and read seems to point in the direction of a 14 fret oval, not the 12 fret D shape.

Out here there aren't many choices for guitars, so I would appreciate any advice. I have played them both, and I found the Cigano nicer in my hand. It had stock strings, but it did have a nice vibe. The D-500 I played was nice too, I reckon I was convincing myself that the Selmer style is what I wanted. But the price of the Gitane is half the price of what one costs here new, and that has got me thinking...

What is a newbie to do?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited May 2008 Posts: 6,152
    The Ciganos have an improved top arch and neck angle so the sound is brighter, direr, and more traditional then the older D-500 which is pretty bass heavy. Also, the Ciganos have a light Satin finish which seems to help the body resonate better then the ultra-heavy lacquer on the D-500.

'm
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    That said, if the price on the D 500 is that low... I would be tempted.
    After many years I'm very happy with mine, but maybe n° 504 is just a lucky number! :)
    frater wrote:
    That said, if the price on the D 500 is that low... I would be tempted.
    After many years I'm very happy with mine, but maybe n° 504 is just a lucky number! :)

I agree. If the price is really low, go for it.

I thought that n° 2501 was the lucky number! :wink:
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Michael,

Do you have any specs on what the new Cigano top arch and neck angle are compared to the old Gitane?

Thanks
    Bones wrote:
    Michael,

Do you have any specs on what the new Cigano top arch and neck angle are compared to the old Gitane?

Thanks

Maybe if Josh has time he can measure both and compare. But it's pretty obvious just looking at them that the Cigano has more neck angle and top arch.

'm
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    The GJ-10 is just about the same as the D-500. It's the GJ-15 that has the higher top arch and neck angle.

Cheers,
    Josh
    Josh Hegg wrote:
    The GJ-10 is just about the same as the D-500. It's the GJ-15 that has the higher top arch and neck angle.

Cheers,
    Josh

Really? Last time I looked at a GJ-10 it had a much taller bridge then the D-500.

'm
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I agree. The CJ-10 that we have here in Portland has a higher bridge than either a D-500 or a D-255/D-250. Its actually high enough that a Stimer fits nicely under the strings with plenty of clearance. Thats not the case with a Gitane.
  • lmntrylmntry Portland , Oregon✭✭✭✭
    It seems like the models are getting confused.

The cigano GJ-10 is a 14 fret oval hole with a very steep neck angle and pronounced top arch...lots of clearance but has a kinda skinny neck.....just like the gitane 255.

The cigano GJ-15 is the 12 fret D hole model.....shallow neck angle with marginal clearance for a stimer.....very light guitar with a great full neck like the D-500 Gitane.

I've owned all of these models except the gitane 255....but i've played many of them.

my personal favorite by far was the Cigano GJ-15 Dhole.....a real cannon.
    i actually gigged with mine right out of the box for a full month last summer (10-15 gigs) and it sounded and played great !

David
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Dave is correct... I mistyped the model numbers. The GJ-10 is the Oval hole and does in deed have quite a large top arch and neck angle. The GJ-15 is the model that like the D-500. Sorry for my misprint.

Cheers,
    Josh