DjangoBooks.com

Best value in music transcription software?

robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
edited May 2008 in Repertoire Posts: 244
I'm constantly needing to rewrite things in different keys. Doing it by hand is...well, I never got the hang of it though I think there's a formula on Guitarguy.com or something. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob

Comments

• KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    Band-in-a-Box currently costs $129. (http://www.pgmusic.com/bandbox_pro.htm)

I hate to p-p-p-pay for software, but if you really use something a lot and need top-notch features, a commercial app may be your best choice.

-k
  • robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    BIAB is a brand I've heard about a lot. Didn't know what its primary use was though. Evidently many like it.

Thanks, Klez!
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi Rob,

Don't you use Finale? I've just got the free version (Notepad) but even with that you can simply change the key signature and choose to transpose the notation up or down, if that's all you need. Of course, you'll need to write it out at least once yourself, but I think that's it...

best,
    Jack.
    Hey Jack,

I remember trying out Notepad when we were involved with the Django Wiki fakebook. The version for Mac was really buggy, a train wreck...Though it might have been Chris McPerson's PC templates reacting to my Mac platform. I'll download it again just to see if that was the problem. I love Macs, which is the graphic artist's choice, but among my musician friends I'm a fish out of water.
  • AJATangoAJATango New
    not really Rob. MACs tend to be the choice for audio guys. Like ME :)
    Audio guys flock to Macs too, like visual artists do? That's good news to me.

R
  • AJATangoAJATango New
    you betcha! Django would use a MAC well actually he DID lol
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Indeed the notepad does a lot for a free software, and it works well when installed on the right platform.
    If you want put some money in it, both of the cheapest ones from Sibelius or Finale (ie G7 or Print music for $99) will do a great job. Try their demos, they work differently but will give you a comparable result.
    - JG
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Speaking of notation software. I have a copy of Sibelius(not sure of the version but I will check when i get home) that I have never installed it is the full version, and legal with all the keys. I have opened the box but, the cd's have never been opened. i am saving up for the Logic suite and don't really want to clutter up my mac book. If any one is interested in this I would be willing to trade or sell it. I am not sure what it is worth as I am not sure of the version although it is very recent. I will look it up and probably put it in the Classified section but if you want to be johnny on the spot with this send me a PM. Make me an offer!
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend against using Band in a box for anything but chord charts. If you are doing actual notation on BIAB, good luck! Sibelius is much better suited for that.

But if you need something that you can bang out chord charts on, then quickly transpose and print them, Band in the box is probably the best choice. It also is great for practicing.

But I'll say it again, BIAB is a total disaster in terms of user interface. Be prepared to spend some time swimming through a sea of buttons and menu items that have no rhyme or reason to them.

Somebody seriously has to come up with something better!