DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Guitar w/ Short Scale

I have small hands and have been playing a 24 & 3/4" scale archtop (ES175) for many years. What would be a good choice for Gypsy Jazz guitar? The long scale intimidates me.

Thanks for any advice.

Richard Polf

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited June 2008 Posts: 6,153
    Hi Richard,

A Maccaferri style guitar has a 25.5" scale which the shortest you'll find on a Gypsy jazz type guitar.

See:

If you want something shorter you'd need to get a custom guitar made.

-Michael
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Richard,

If you want a 14 fret clear of the body guitar without the long scale, they are made by Shelly Park and others in a 25.5 inch scale.

The 24.75 inch scale of a 175 or Les Paul is too short to get enough bite on the treble side of the guitar for a traditional "Gypsy jazz" tone. You could try a 000 Martin. They have the scale you are used to.
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • TimmyHawkenTimmyHawken Lansing,MINew
    Hi Richard,

I live near Elderly instruments and I have played this guitar: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/name ... LVD12P.htm

It has a 25 3/16 scale, Its a really nice guitar, too small for my liking but it plays and sounds great. I have only tried two Le Voi's but both have been very nice. They let me plug it in too, the bigtone sounds nice.

the price used to be listed at around $2900 but now its list as "inquire for price" I dont know if that means its gone up or down, but they've had it for at least 2 years.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Dell'Arte will also make one for you. Ask **** about a short scale (25.5 inch) 14 fret Anouman (D hole). It's a special order, not shown on their Web site. You can e-mail him at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:info@****">info@****</a><!-- e -->
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles