DjangoBooks.com

has anyone tried this pickup?

Shadow Nanoflex Pickup, like the one seen here:

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/SNFX2.htm

has anyone had any experience with this type of pickup? I think it looks cool, I like the idea. I am trying to decide if I should go with something like this, or get my Schatten installed in my dupont (the guy who I bought the Dupont from sent me a Schatten as an extra added bonus :shock: )

thanks,

Tim

Comments

• aRealGypsyaRealGypsy Clackamas Oregon✭✭✭
    Shadow Nanoflex Pickup, like the one seen here:

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/SNFX2.htm

has anyone had any experience with this type of pickup? I think it looks cool, I like the idea. I am trying to decide if I should go with something like this, or get my Schatten installed in my dupont (the guy who I bought the Dupont from sent me a Schatten as an extra added bonus :shock: )

thanks,

Tim

yes, i have one actually, and i wouldnt say they are the greatest pickup in the world.. they are OK! id rather use a stimer, to be honest and if i were you id just get the schatten installed :)
  • campfirecampfire New
    I just ordered one, I hope it sounds good. I've tried Shatten (passive & active), bigtones, Stimer (I own one), K&K pure, highlander w/mic, Schertler DYN-G, you name it! So far, the bigtone on my Park is the best compromise between sound and convenience. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :?

Larry
    www.larrycamp.com (my personal jazz guitar website)
    www.impromptujazz.com (my gypsy-jazz website)
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Hi Larry:

What did you think of the K+K?

Charlie
  • campfirecampfire New
    Charlie,

I had the K&K Pure Western on a Dunn Bellville. (Great Guitar, wish I still had it) I really liked it. I didn't install it myself, it was done for me when I bought the guitar. It had fairly natural sound, and good volume without feedback.
    I also have the Pure Archtop on my 1938 black walnut Epiphone Broadway, but I'm not too thrilled with its sound. Kind of a nasal sound. For all it's faults, I still like the Bigtone the best.

Larry
  • campfirecampfire New
    I'm afraid I'll have to agree with aRealGypsy, on the Shadow pickup. It has potential, but really doesn't work for me. It's very prone to feedback, and is not as loud as I would like it. It does have a fairly natural sound, but in some registers it was hooping and squalling. It also raises your bridge height just enough to make your action harder to play, and in my opinion, affects the crispness of the acoustic sound. I do like the volume and tone controls, however.
    I will have to play with it some more and try fine tuning it with several guitars before I completely condemn or praise it. My experiments were at a live gig, with a Gallato and a Jorgensen D-hole. Will follow up on this if anyone is interested in the Shadow.

Larry