DjangoBooks.com

Comments

• jmcgannjmcgann Boston MA USANew
    VERY highly recommended. This is a wonderful addition to the educational literature, with a bonus- you don't have to read :twisted:

Great work, Denis!
    www.johnmcgann.com

I've never heard Django play a note without commitment.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I picked my copies up at Django in June, and have started working on the first one. No matter how good you are, there is enough material here to last for a long time...years in my case. I'm already working on Denis' ear training suggestions and they are already bearing fruit. If you like licks, he's got a bundle of 'em, if you like concepts, he's got that too.

Denis is a first-rate player and a fine teacher. For people who don't have access to a GJ teacher, these are a must. Even for those of us who do, these are fantastic supplements to our lessons.

Great work Denis!
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    For me, Denis' DVDs are the next best thing to studying in person with people like Fapy--something Denis has already done for you. These are GREAT materials for anyone willing to commit to learning in the traditional way--by ear and by eye.

Incidentally, I reviewed both the Accompaniment DVD and the Improvisation set for Djangology.net, if anyone's looking for further reviews.

best,
    Jack.
  • wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    John, Michael, Jack:

Thanks for the positive and thorough reviews. Your checks are in the mail. :wink::wink:

It's very gratifying to get positive feedback. These DVDs took over a 1,000 hrs to edit and produce and it's easy to lose your perspective as to whether this stuff is useful or whether it will sell.

Although I'm biased, because I work with Denis, I still think he's the best teacher, of almost anything, I've ever met. Hyperbole? Yea... a little bit, but, really it's true. The guy knows his stuff and can really get his point across. Watching Denis prepare for the next day's lesson you realize this guy is a monster player and instructor.

Once again, thanks for the inspiring feedback. I guess we should keep doing these?

cheers

wayne nakamura
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Make that a big yes!!!
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Here are two Dennis Chang inspired lick fragments I invented over E7. (I practice this along with E7 phrase#3 and phrase#4 on Dennis' first DVD) :

[code]-8-4-7-4----------------------------11-12-
    ---------5---------------------9-12-------
    -----------7-4-------------8-9------------
    ---------------6-------6-9----------------
    -----------------8-6-7--------------------
    ------------------------------------------[/code]

And you can continue it with:

[code]-12-10-7---------------------------------------1-0-
    ---------9-----------------------------------3-----
    -----------10-8-9-7------------------------1-------
    --------------------9-6--------------3-1-2---------
    ------------------------8-6-7--5-2-----------------
    -----------------------------------4---------------[/code]
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    wow thanks guys! your support will allow us to release other dvds in the near future (not just gypsy jazz, michael horowitz is doing just fine with djangobooks.com).

We re in the process of editing a Gypsy Violin DVD (the first EVER instructional tool of its kind) with a world class Roumanian gypsy violinist, as well as a Hot Jazz Violin DVD with Tim Kliphuis (very similar to my improv DVDs)

for you guitarists out there, we're developing a new instructional series with some of the hottest players out there today... I know most of them donm't know how to teach, but I'm working very closely with them to do something that can be of benefit to all.... We're filming our first video on October with a phenomenal gypsy guitarist from Germany
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    thanks a lot for your work, dennis. i'll take a look at your dvds.
    anyway, an instructional book about gj violin could be great for a lot of players, i guess.
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    dennis wrote:
    for you guitarists out there, we're developing a new instructional series with some of the hottest players out there today... I know most of them donm't know how to teach, but I'm working very closely with them to do something that can be of benefit to all.... We're filming our first video on October with a phenomenal gypsy guitarist from Germany

denis do you think fapy would be interested at all in making a dvd? i love the way he plays and a video lesson with him would be cool, he's one of the few top players who has never released a book or any other instructional material but his style is great. very djangoesque
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    i'd give an eye for some fapy instructional stuff :)