DjangoBooks.com

a few questions - just joined this site, really like it!

django_njdjango_nj New
edited June 2008 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 18
First off I am just so glad to stumble upon a site like this. I am 20years old and have only been playing guitar for about 2 years now, but probably only seriously for about a year. Within that year I've really taken to manouche jazz and jazz in general. Some pieces I've worked on are Minor Swing, Nuages, Rose room, and others. Before guitar I had been playing classical piano (and a tiny bit of jazz) for about 13 years.

One thing I've noticed is that it can be difficult to find people to play with, and since these songs are so great with two guitars (sure you can play with a backing track but it just isnt the same) - especially in my age group.

I took two classes on music theory on my school, which I can say helped tremendously, although I would like to get into the more specific theory of manouche jazz/gypsy jazz.

For example, I'm currently working on Djangology, with a transcription from "django reinhardt: the definitive collection (hal leonard)"

The "B" section has this chord progression:

A - Cm - G - C#o7 - Am - D7 - G - G# and repeats but A is replaced with A7.

What key would this be in? With A and Am in the same progression it must change keys somewhere, no?

So, anyway, I am glad to join this site and again am always looking for people to play with, and a teacher in my area, which is northern NJ (nyc area).

Thanks.
always looking for a jam or even a teacher.

Comments

• KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    You, young sir, are in luck. Between Philly and the City there are quite a few good GJ "playuz." Check out this link: http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4860

Don't forget the upcoming show at Lincoln Center at the end of July. It'll be a kick-butt event, I'm sure: http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4861

Also, the US distributor of Manouche guitars is an active musician who lives in Philly, Barry Dubya. He *is* a bit shy, though, and may need a little bit of coaxing to open up. 8)

Hey, welcome to the forum, btw. You're in for some fun!

-'k'
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    django_nj wrote:
    For example, I'm currently working on Djangology, with a transcription from "django reinhardt: the definitive collection (hal leonard)"

The "B" section has this chord progression:

A - Cm - G - C#o7 - Am - D7 - G - G# and repeats but A is replaced with A7.

What key would this be in? With A and Am in the same progression it must change keys somewhere, no?

Welcome aboard! To answer your question about Djangology, it's probably fine to think of it as just being in G. Your post brings up two other things worth mentioning, though:

1) If you can, I'd highly recommend using a different source for transcriptions. That Hal Leonard book is (in my opinion) not that good. You'd likely get much more out of a book written by someone familiar with the style, harmony, and fingerings particular to gypsy jazz. Watremez's Ultimate Django book is a great source. You can also print out a bunch of lead sheets that forum members have made by looking here. Click on the file link in the left hand column to go to the pdfs.

2) What Hal Leonard calls the "B" section, most musicians call the "A" section--ignoring the introduction that HL labels "A". It might not seem like a big deal, but then you'll be in a jam and someone will say "it's AABA" to explain the song form. Looking at the jpeg below should make it clear and provide an example of a chart that offers a little more chord detail than the Leonard book.

hope that helps!
    Jack.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    If your are in the NYC area the First cat I would try to get a hold of is Stephane Wremble. I agree with Jack though I would look for a different source for transcriptions or Chord progressions. maybe the Cossimini books (are they still available). And all of Michaels books. And check out Dennis' Videos. This is an exciting time to get into this music I remember before Youtube it was really diffucult to find video of players and alot of time was spent trying to find transcriptions.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.