DjangoBooks.com

Downstroke on all string changes?

edited January 2009 in Technique Posts: 7
For the life of me, I can't get the down picking on each string to work and sound right on some of the streaming sections in the middle of this Mozart piece- http://youtube.com/watch?v=-M6wH7hiChY

I've tried using some pull offs to help with the string changes but it still just feels weird with the upstrokes landing on downbeats. Up to this tempo, I almost think it has to be alternate picked to get the proper feel, because it's so even. The gypsy sound to me is sort've choppy and unlike this. I like the way this guy plays it because it has that bouncy downstroke feel, yet it flows. I can't figure a good way to get that. What do you guys think?

Comments

• emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    practice, practice and practice :wink:
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    there are 3 possibilities

1) you practice
    2) you change the fingerings
    3) you don't use the technique

.. joscho is using number 3, he doesn't do the down stroke thing, he does a lot of sweeping and upstrokes... that in turn answers your question about joscho's sound
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    dennis wrote:
    .. joscho is using number 3, he doesn't do the down stroke thing, he does a lot of sweeping and upstrokes...

Dennis,

are you sure about this? I've heard before that Joscho's all alternate, but when I looked at the clip above, where there's a few good sections from the side where the right hand is clearly visible, to me it seems mostly rest strokes. Do I need a new monitor?
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    joscho doesn't use a "strictly" restroke technique, except for some typical patterns not involving particular string changes with downstrokes. he plays alternating, i'm sure about this.
    anyway, don't throw up your monitor :D
  • DrSnyderDrSnyder New
    I would not recommend this piece to learn the feel of the Gypsy Picking method. Cuz Rondo alla turka played like that don't needs Down Up Down Down. Joscho is playing the 16th notes with alternate picking. the 8th notes with downstrokes.

I recorded a swing version of that song too. If you like to listen to:
    http://guitartrip.com/music/Django_Alla_Turk.mp3
  • beavertoofbeavertoof nashville, tnNew
    kimmo wrote:
    dennis wrote:
    .. joscho is using number 3, he doesn't do the down stroke thing, he does a lot of sweeping and upstrokes...

Dennis,

are you sure about this? I've heard before that Joscho's all alternate, but when I looked at the clip above, where there's a few good sections from the side where the right hand is clearly visible, to me it seems mostly rest strokes. Do I need a new monitor?

Does anyone know what type of pick he uses? From that closeup it kind of looks like it is flexing, like a medium pick would, but that is probably just an optical illusion I am guessing.