DjangoBooks.com

Busato Dupont

So it's official. Dupont is now producing Busato replicas (and, if I understand well, he has also copyrighted the name and the model...).

Check it out here!

http://www.acoustic-guitars.com/guitare ... nouche.php

Sitka tops? Ahhhhrgh! The Royale model looks sweet tough...

Comments

• KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    frater wrote:
    Sitka tops? Ahhhhrgh!

The advert does say, though, that French Spruce ia an option.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I have four of these coming in a month or so....including one of the Royales! Will be fun to check these out...

'm
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    So the low end model will be sitka top with laminated mahogany backs and sides and an unreinforced mahogany neck
    Schaller tuners
    They don't say what kind of mahogany and "acajou" is a catch all word for anything that looks like mahogany

The middle will be sitka with a french spruce option east Indian backs and sides and a mahogany neck reinforced with maple
    Schaller or BB tuners

The Royale ( 1/4 pounder with cheese) will be sitka or french spruce option
    Rio I assume that's brazilian rosewood laminated backs and sides and a walnut neck reinforced with ebony
    BB tuners...

What makes it a "Busato" and will there be a diamond plate on the headstock ???

Other than the Royale what other confiigurations do you have coming ?
    Bohemian wrote:
    What makes it a "Busato" and will there be a diamond plate on the headstock ???

Just about everything is different. The scale length (675mm) which is longer then a Selmer. Bigger body (16 1/2" lower bout, 4" deep.) Thicker three piece neck. Amazing carved back. And most importantly the famous Busato top which features the most outrageous top arch (bombe) ever done. The way he bent the wood is just amazing.

All this adds up to the loudest, clearest Gypsy guitar ever built. The only thing I've found that equals Busatos for pure volume is the old Jacques Favinos (which are modeled after Busatos anyway.) Busatos don't have the complexity that Selmers have...but excel at producing an ultra crunchy, bright, dry sound that is like no other. The bigger body also gives them a very tight, but present bass register. Not for everyone, but they always turn some heads for sure.

And yes, they'll have the diamond plate.
    Other than the Royale what other configurations do you have coming ?

I've got two Standards, a Luxe, and a Royale coming.

'm
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    I'm pretty sure Dupont decided to go Busato after he took care of Romane's one (Romane used it in "French Guitar" after his Vielle Reserve had been "stolen" by his son...). After the cure Romane used to refer to that guitar as a Busapont, or something like that! :D

But, again, French spruce shouldn't be an option on a serious Busato replica... at least not one costing as the Royale. I'm not speaking from a merely historical point of view: the Sitka top will probably sound great but surely different from a Jura top...
    In 1993 I passed up a Busato for $800 from a dealer in Calif..

still kicking myself...

He also had a Sel Mac Original for around $6K and a Loar F5 Mando for $20 K

But a genuine Busato for $800.. damn that was dumb....
    Michael,

Are you sure about the "carved" back?

Will either of the standards have a French Spruce top ?

The "mahogany" appears to be African Sapele.. not a true mahogany but fits right in with the descriptive of "acajou"
    Bohemian wrote:

Are you sure about the "carved" back?

Yes...it's called a fonde bombe.

Will either of the standards have a French Spruce top ?

I believe so....
  • CiganoCigano New
    I had a look at these at Samois - typical Dupont excellence....
    Update:

Just heard from Dupont. All four of the Busatos I'll be getting from him will have French spuce tops.

Thanks to all the people who inquired....I didn't anticipate the HUGE interest in these new guitars!!!

'm