DjangoBooks.com

Stephane Wrembel/Woody Allen

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited July 2008 in Welcome Posts: 1,752
Hi all,

Caught the trailer for the new Woody Allen film today...he's using Stephane's Big Brother (check around the 1:48 mark). Sweet, no?

Comments

• FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    Looks like a great movie. Woody is the Django of modern film making.
    -fopa
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    what do you mean when you say "big brother" ?
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    Fopa wrote:
    Looks like a great movie.

i don't know, by this trailer it looks to me like he's continuing his run of crap films. I say this as a big fan of what he produced in the past but i think his recent movies have been pretty terrible ( melinda & melinda, match point etc. )
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I disagree. "Match Point" is a masterpiece of a movie.
  • FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    Ditto. Match Point was brilliant. You could have Scarlett and Penelope reading a phone book and I would go to see it.
    -fopa
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    djangology wrote:
    what do you mean when you say "big brother" ?

It's the name of the tune--one of the great originals on his Barbes Brooklyn disc.

best,
    Jack.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Fopa wrote:
    Looks like a great movie.

i don't know, by this trailer it looks to me like he's continuing his run of crap films. I say this as a big fan of what he produced in the past but i think his recent movies have been pretty terrible ( melinda & melinda, match point etc. )

And don't forget Scoop and Cassandra's Dream. This one could easily be the worst of all though, from what I see...

P.S.

Agreed: Match point doesn't deserve to stand in the same crap line... but basically it's a rip-off of Crimes and Misdemeanors. Now boys, THAT' s a masterpiece!
  • stevensonologystevensonology PennsylvaniaNew
    Great tune, and one of my favorite albums. But I it seems the version in the movie features a mandolin and therefore not the same album. Is this different rendition available on CD?
    Other than that, I have nothing to add or detract.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Great tune, and one of my favorite albums. But I it seems the version in the movie features a mandolin and therefore not the same album. Is this different rendition available on CD?

My bad...I forgot he also recorded this with David Grisman on the Gypsy Rumble CD. It must be that version the Woodman is using. It was released by Amoeba Records a couple of years back, but I can't find it online except at ebay.

best,
    Jack.

p.s. I should mention that the CD he did with Grisman isn't as well recorded as the Barbes disc...I get the feeling it was done quickly, in a sort of Grisman meets Wrembel way to get ready for the subsequent tour. There's still some great playing, but the recording quality, especially on the guitar, leaves something to be desired.
  • plankityplankity CTNew
    Fopa wrote:
    Ditto. Match Point was brilliant. You could have Scarlett and Penelope reading a phone book and I would go to see it.

Obviously you haven't heard Scarlett's CD of Tom Waits covers...

Norman CT/USA