DjangoBooks.com

IGGF Gypsy Guitar Festival UK

PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
edited August 2008 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 768
I just returned today from the UK...and this past weekend I took in the International Gypsy Guitar Festival (IGGF) in Gossington and saw on Friday night, Biel Ballester Trio with special guest Stochelo Rosenberg, who I've never seen before and what a total delight it was to see Stochelo play live, after having seen him many times on video etc...he was relaxed and having a great time and we both hugely enjoyed the show, which was brilliant....or as you Yanks say "it was awesome!" ...

On the Sat afternoon, saw a wonderful duet performance of Gary Potter and Andreas Oberg, who complement each other just brilliantly. Andreas's exciting style and enthusiasm pushes who ever he's playing with to the limit, but he met his match with the UK's Gary Potter who had more than enough tricks up his sleeve to keep the big Swede on his toes!....

Also on the Sat afternoon, Kruno made his first UK appearance and put on a superb show, which was well received and opened up the ears to new listeners to his great guitar and vocals...his playing gets better every time I see him.

....However, the highlight of the festival was the final show on Saturday night with the Prisor Jazz Band featuring, Feigle Prisor, lead guitar playing his Busato, Eddy Grunholz lead semi-acoustic archtop guitar, and Paulus Schaffer, lead guitar...this was one big Dutch gypsy jazz party, which brought the house down, with all 3 of them taking electrifying leads, trading 4s and 8s, playing heads in unison, it was an amazing high energy performance...which left the audience crying out for more..one of those "you had to be there" shows! The longer they played they seemed to get more wired up and the faster they challenged each other to play. This show was one of the highlights of any gypsy jazz show that I've ever seen. :D:D:D

Was also great to meet up with some of the UK jammers, was good to meet Sylvia from LeQ, many other friendly folk, and to also try out the Le Voi and Harmsworth and Willis guitars. Howdy to Mundo from the Hot Club of Las Vegas see you up at DFNW. Hello to Menno from Holland and Heyup to the lads from Nottingham or was it Northampton? Apologies if I missed anyone out, just returned and am still jet-lagged.
Many thanks to Stuart for organizing a helluva great festival!

Cheers, Phil ...from Portland, Oregon via Leeds :)

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Thanks for the review, just found this vid of Prisor Jazz Band at Gossington playing Topsy. Love the harmonized head, hot stuff. Craig

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i don't see paulus schafer in that video, are you sure you're not mistaken phil? the other guitarist in that band looks like sendelo schafer (paulus' cousin and rhythm player)
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Here's the photo....Paulus joined them for their 2nd set...cheers...Phil
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Here's a superb live clip with Feigle, Paulus and Eddy doing "Them Their Eyes" - this captures the wonderful energy these guys had - enjoy! ~ Phil