DjangoBooks.com

Details on the different Bigtone pickups at Djangobooks

I have some specific questions about these pickups that I hope to get answered if anyone can help me.

1. What specific kinds of piezo elements are being used in the various different pickups? (i.e. ceramic, film, etc.)

2. Has anyone done an A/B comparison with the various pickups on the same guitar and are there any sound files I can listen to that are posted or can be posted?

3. I'd also like to hear from people who have replaced their original bigtone with one of the newer ones and hear their critical thoughts about the difference in sound.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    guit_box wrote:

1. What specific kinds of piezo elements are being used in the various different pickups? (i.e. ceramic, film, etc.)

The Deluxe Bigtone (which sounds the best) is a flat crystal element. I'm not sure about the others...will need to check.
    2. Has anyone done an A/B comparison with the various pickups on the same guitar and are there any sound files I can listen to that are posted or can be posted?

The Deluxe is the best sounding...but has lower gain then the others. Works fine with high powered amps like the Acoustic Image or AER. If you have a weaker amp then a LR Baggs pre-amp is a good idea.

The standard bigtone sounds the worst...typical piezo quackiness but cost a bit less and is higher gain.

The Super bigtone sounds good, but not as good as the deluxe. But is also high gain.