DjangoBooks.com

A few DFNW questions

BillyBobBillyBob Graham, WaNew
edited September 2008 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 53
I've never been, so I'd like to know.

1. I want to learn more about soloing, I've been through Gypsy Picking, and my theory is very limited. Which of the clinics would be best for me?

2. Where does everyone camp/hotel? I'd like to be exposed to as many Djamming opportunities as humanly possible.

3. How are the facilities?

Thanks.
Just your average Djoe.

Comments

• gadjogreggadjogreg nebraska✭✭✭
    you might check out the workshops by denis or gonzalo
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    Djangofest NW is a djammers paradise! During the day, most jamming occurs in the outdoor seating areas at local coffee houses in Langley. The coffee house owners are very cool and often provide free coffee drinks and pastries to the players. After the evening shows, the area's hottest jams take place at the bar across from WICA (the town's main concert venue). Amateurs mix with the pros in the evening and playing continues into the wee hours.

Circle jams are most common with players each taking a chorus or two (or not depending on their comfort level). A good variety of instrumentalists participate including violins, mandolins, bass, clarinet, etc. etc. Players range from OK to outstanding -- and there is always a friendly and appreciative audience nearby. A round of applause after a jam is not unusual.

Your fingers will likely wear out before you run out of places to play. Best to practice a lot in advance to build your callouses up and to learn as many swing tunes as possible. Upbeat tunes are most popular and it is OK to bring cheat sheets like the Nolan gig book if you need them (although the jammers who play from memory/by ear get the most respect).

Nothing like it -- prepare to have a blast!
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • BillyBobBillyBob Graham, WaNew
    Where do they usually run the workshops?
    Just your average Djoe.
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    WICA in Langley is the location of the workshops.
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • JohnVBJohnVB PDX, Orygun✭✭✭ Gitane D-500 #051
    Sometimes the workshops take place at other venues around town, all within easy strolling distance of each other. I went to one at the Children's Theatre, and another at a hall of some kind.

Weather can sometimes inhibit outdoor jamming, but Useless Bay Coffee Co. had a shelter built last year.

I've had a great time the two times I've been to DFNW.
    E=Fb : The Theory of Relativity
  • BillyBobBillyBob Graham, WaNew
    Can I drop in on the workshops or should I pay in advance? How does that work?

I'm looking at the Giniaux and Bergara sessions.
    Just your average Djoe.
  • AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    You can reserve a spot by calling WICA ticket box office.

There's a link from the DFNW page.

-B
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Can I drop in on the workshops or should I pay in advance? How does that work?

I doubt anyone would turn you away if you walked up to the door but getting a ticket in advance is the polite thing to do.
  • gadjogreggadjogreg nebraska✭✭✭
    you need to have a tix to get in to the workshops, they check for tix.
    get your tix in advance to assure a seat. they do turn non tix holders away.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Ooops you are right. Don't show up to a workshop without a ticket!