DjangoBooks.com

Djangofest COLORADO -- QAs on cost, lodging etc.

Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
edited June 2009 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 589
I checked earlier this week about lodging at Crested Butte for the upcoming Djangofest Colorado, Sept. 19-21. Here’s some information I want to share with you. For further details, check the last Q/A near the middle of this message. I hope ya’ll can make it!

Q: When and where is Djangofest Colorado?

A: Sept 19-21; in beautiful Crested Butte, Colorado. The main shows are Friday Sept. 19 and Saturday, Sept. 20. Information below is based on a two-night stay, Friday and Saturday nights.

Q: Who's playing?

A: Robin Nolan Trio, John Jorgenson Quintet, Gonzalo Bergara, Mathieu Chatelain, Le Chat Lunatique, Carute Roma, Hot Club of Boulder, and Mango fan Django. Workshops by Robin Nolan, John Jorgenson, Gonzalo Bergara, and Mathieu Chatelain.

Q: What will it cost to go to Crested Butte from Denver?

A: Here’s my wag at it, based on two persons sharing the cost:
-- Gas: $80 round trip at 25 mpg (approx. 250 miles and 4.5 hours each way)
-- Food: $200 for two people, two days
-- Lodging, tickets: Two nights stay at Grand Lodge, tickets for Fri night, Sat matinee, and Sat night, taxes and all the associated expenses: $427 for two people. (Note: This price doesn’t include “travel protection.” If they quote you higher price higher of $452, ask them to remove the $25 travel protection)
-- Grand total for two people: $707 or just short of $354 per person. (Note: This doesn’t include workshops which are $40 each. Go to www.djangofest.com and click on “Colorado” then “workshops” for more details)

Q: What if I’m going alone and I don’t want the expense of staying at the Grand Lodge?

A: There are plenty of places to stay at Crested Butte and the prices vary accordingly. For example, you could stay at a hostel in Crested Butte. Cost plus evening show tickets is around $160. Add $17 more for the Saturday matinee. The folks at “Crested View Vacations” can help. Their contact info is in the last Q/A below.

Q: What if I want to spend even less $$?

A: Bring your camping gear. Crested Butte offers plenty of free and inexpensive camping sites.

Q: Is it okay for two friends to share a room at the Grand Lodge?

A: Yes. The rooms are either suites or studios and cost the same either way. The suites have two separate areas with one king-size bed and a double-sleeper sofa; the studios are single large rooms with two king size beds. They also have roll-in beds so you can add more people for $20 per person per night.

Q: Where can I find more information or book reservations?

A: The Crested Butte folks are very helpful and will arrange your visit based on your needs. For booking info at the Grand Lodge, the hostel or other lodging areas, contact “Crested View Vacations” public reservations at (800) 544 8448 or www.skicb.com . You can get more information on Djangofest Colorado at the same site, www.skicb.com (you may need to click on the link for “more packages and specials”) or at www.djangofest.com (click on Colorado). For more info on Crested Butte go to www.gunnisoncrestedbutte.com ; for info on camping sites, go to www.visitcrestedbutte.com/camping.cfm

I have no association with any of the above sites other than my band Mango fan Django will be the opening act for Robin Nolan and John Jorgenson on Saturday night. I just want to make sure folks sitting on the fence have some information to help them make a decision. I know there are folks coming from as far as Austin so I expect it will be a fun time. As Gypsygirl noted earlier, Robin won’t be at DFNW this year so if you want to see him, this will be a great opportunity.

I also want to thank Greg Gunter from Hot Club of Lincoln. He will be attending and we will feature him on a few tunes during our Mango set.

At some Djangofests, there just isn’t enough time to jam. I expect things will be different at Crested Butte. It will be an intimate and committed crowd of enthusiasts -- all in close and relaxed proximity to one another. This is a perfect scenario for yanking out your favorite Maccaphony guitars (fiddles, and basses…) and proceeding with a round of Rhythme Futur -- okay, maybe Minor Swing to start with…

I hope you find this information useful.

A.E.

Comments

• Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Here’s a quick update folks.

Weather has been great in Crested Butte and I hear the leaves are changing colors. Should be a near perfect weekend for Djangofest Colorado! As of Tuesday, at least 60 reservations have been made for Fri and Sat nights. Expect the numbers will increase since several regional media are running articles this week. Be sure to bring your sweater – it gets cool in the evenings.

Jam opportunities sound very promising! Immediately outside the Grand Lodge is a large horseshoe-shaped area with a fire pit and seating area; inside the Grand Lodge is a large lobby area and the Woodstone Grill. Across from the Grand Lodge is another large outdoor courtyard and the Tracker Bar and Lounge. But get this – next to the Grand Lodge is a new place with outdoor patio seating perfect for jamming. It's called – are you ready for this? – Django’s!

All these places are a stone’s throw from each other and within a few paces of the theater featuring the acts (Robin Nolan Trio, John Jorgenson Quintet, Gonzalo Bergara, Hot Club of Boulder, Le Chat Lunatique, Carute Roma, and Mango fan Django)

Jams, shows, workshops – it’s gonna be a great Gypsy Jazz weekend! Check the earlier message for details if you still want to attend.

A.E.
    Weather update: Low 60s during the days, mid 30s during evenings. Bring jackets and sweaters!

A.E.
  • CitrusCitrus DenverNew
    How was it? Will there be one this coming year?
    Enjoy Life While You Can
    Spoke with Nick this week, and YES! there will be a Djangofest Crested Butte 09! Plans and details are still in the works, however, a few points seem to be solid. It is slated for Labor Day Weekend this year (which will be a lot warmer -- best time of the year in the Rockies!); and headliners slated for this year are Andreas Oberg, Kruno Spisic, and Alfonso Ponticelli and Swing Gitan. This is a killer lineup of some great guitar players! From Colorado, thus far, is Dave Williams and Deco Django, and Mango fan Django. There might be more groups -- still to be determined. Andreas, Kruno, Alfonso and Kevin Nolan are slated to host guitar workshops. It will be a great place to get one-on-one with some of the best teachers around.

Last year was fantastic. The location is excellent in both natural beauty and resources at Crested Butte. Tons of good places to eat, party and jam. It's like the secret Djangofest where you get to meet top artists with just a handful of your friends. Everyone who attended, I think would tell you the same.

As I get more info, I'll let you know. Also, watch for postings on http://www.djangofest.com

A.E.
  • CitrusCitrus DenverNew
    great...thank you kindly. I am looking forward to it!
    Enjoy Life While You Can