DjangoBooks.com

What is the best Favino-style new guitar?

shegashega Colorado✭✭✭
Hello all,

I have been playing a Dupont for 11 years. It is wonderful. But for at least that long, I have wondered about Favino guitars, either originals or luthier instruments from other makers. Now I have decided to shop. But I live in Colorado and can't travel this year.

Other than the originals, what are the best Favino style guitars being produced?

or,

Who makes a Favino style as well as Maurice Dupont makes a Selmer style?

What would I expect to spend for a good instrument? Has anyone played the Asian made Favino styles? They seem to be around $1500 US.

Thanks, everyone!

Comments

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    very few of us could actaully answer that question. I have only played the Favino shaped Eimers, AJL, Shelley Park, and Dell Arte. Personally I would say the Dell Arte U.S. Hommage looks and feels like a actual Favino more than the others. also, the Shelley Park is interesting, slightly different feel, and I would say an "improved design".

I am really curious about the new Dell Arte (made in Asia) Hommage. I haven't played one but I want to try it. I am also curious about the DuPont favino shaped guitars.

I own a 2004 US Dell Arte Hommage.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The Dell Arte Hommage is the best Favino copy ever made. It's really the only Favino copy that has the barky, nasal, upper midrangey tone that the old Jacques Favinos have. Other Favino copies have some of the same dimensions (bigger body, longer scale, etc), but not the sound.

On average, I've found the D hole Hommages are superior to the oval holes. Not always, but more often then not the D holes sound better and are louder. This one will blow your socks off!

• chappiechappie ✭✭✭✭
    http://rodrigoshopis.com/pictures/l1000449.html

Only slightly more money than a new Hommage but way, way less than a new or used Favino. These are all solid-wood guitars made to your exact specifications. He is making me one without all the inlay and a non-bearclaw top. He is a great guy and makes a wonderful guitar. Dorado and Samson each bought one from him after playing them. Dorado's was destroyed in flight and Samson played his on his latest album.

http://www.rodrigoshopis.com
    charlie
  • jmaszlejmaszle New
    I LOVED this guitar! I played it in his shop in NYC and also at Djangofest. I heard Samson play it at Birdland. Rodrigo's instruments are meticulous and extraordinary. It's unbelievable that you can get a work of art like this at this price in this day in age. He is a real master. I can't wait for my own guitar to be finished...I will post pictures asap.

Jimmy
  • Handmade in California by John Kinnard

Italian spruce table, laminate Indian sides and back and maple neck

Lots of playing time

Excellent overall condition

Need $1,900

Call me

You won't be sorry

Clint in St. Louis 314.574.5529 anytime
  • the best favino type guitar for the money is, unfortunatley, no longer made--the dell arte robin nolan. (dell arte has replaced it with the hommage--still a superb guitar.)

i've got a mint condition robin nolan for sale: $1250 and it comes with built-in Big Tone. absolutely the best deal you are going to find anywhere. if you are in the nyc area, come by and test--you won't leave without it. if not, i can guarantee you'll like.

fee free to call: 706-372-4310 or email me direct: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

and have a great holiday,

vv
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    Hi Victor,

I'm interested in the guitar. Where are you in the city?

Alex
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • jscook777jscook777 ✭✭✭✭
    Just thought I'd chime in and agree, the Dell Arte Homages are top notch. IMO, John and Alain are putting out some amazing guitars. My brother and I have three Favinos. one built by Jacques, one built when he and J.P. were both in the shop and one built later by J.P. They all sound very unique. But, we both are playing out on Dell Arte Homages (1 oval and 1 D) and they sound every bit as good. We love em! Ironically, the photo above in Michael's post, is of ian's actual Homage.