DjangoBooks.com

Djangology - 1949 recorded in Italy for RCA

beavertoofbeavertoof nashville, tnNew
edited September 2008 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 60
Anyone else have this? Just got it yesterday, very interesting.

Has modern liner notes added by Frank Vignola, and then the original notes as well.

What is great about this album is that Django is the only guitar. Him and Grappelly are supported by piano, bass and well done snare drum with brushes.

While it does not give the classic Hot Club sound or drive, it is nice becouse you can really here Django go, both his solos and his incredible driving rhythm.

On "World is waiting for the Sunrise" he really cooks on this I guess you could call it "double-shuffle" rhythm, instead of straight Le Pompe (da-da-da-da) it is more like a train rhythm(chuga-dada-chuga-dada) (ok, my attempt at describing it is not so great!)

I have only had one listen through so far, but found his solo on All the things you Are to be really incredible, though sadly he takes only a single chorus.

His guitar is recorded really 'hot'. The notes say it is acoustic, but at times it sounds very close to electric.

Grappelly is of course spot on through the whole thing.

Comments

• richdaiglerichdaigle SLC,UT✭✭✭✭
    I recommend the entire 4 disc collection

http://www.amazon.com/Django-Rome-1949- ... B0001AV562

Used sets for $17!!!!!!
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    1949 a great year for Django ! I have it and it is one of my favorite period for Django. Well it's a lie as I love all Django !
  • MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    Hi beaver toof

Glad you discovered this wonderful sessions, check "Où es-tu mon amour" out:wink:

Is the mastering worthy buying those sessions again for those who already have them on record?

I'm desperately looking for version without the annoying reverb (which has been added later, as often)

Michel
  • beavertoofbeavertoof nashville, tnNew
    Mitch wrote:
    ... check "Où es-tu mon amour" out

YEAH! Incredible playing. I think that is my current fav.
    Mitch wrote:
    I'm desperately looking for version without the annoying reverb (which has been added later, as often)

hmmm... i guess these are re-done then, becouse I do not notice anything that sounds like added reverb. I have been listening on my car system only, but as far as I can tell it seems a 'pure' recording.

The guitar at times does sound a bit strange, but it sounds to me like it was recorded a bit too hot maybe, as I mentioned above, it sounds almost electric at times, and distorts some.

Also, I have been scratching my head wondering about his bass strings on this recording. Wondering what they are??? A few times he really digs into them and they have a strange almost nylon-y tone, or like silk-flatwounds that are 50 years old or something.