DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (0)

Related Discussions

Today's Birthdays

slimmiejimmie zvone

Guitar Buying Guide

Just to help people get ideas when shopping for gypsy guitar hardware. I am hoping other people on this group can contribute to this list by adding their "dream rig" or their own set of "pricing levels" like I did here. Just posting this for the fun of it.
--------

Cheap Rig:
Cigano GJ-10 - $425
Dupont Bigtone Bridge - $300
Guitar Setup - $100
Crate TX15 Taxi Battery-Powered Combo Amp (has a 5-6 hour battery life) - $180
Total: $1000

Medium Rig:
DellArte DG-AD1 Angelo Debarre(Favino Style) - $1250
Schertler DYN-G Pickup - $400
Schertler David Amp - $900
Guitar Setup - $100
Total: $2600

High Priced:
Dupont MD-50 $4000
Schertler Unico - $1200
Schertler DYN-G Pickup - $400
Guitar Setup - $100
Total: $5700

Elite:
Eimers Antique / Killy Nonis Aged - ~$6000 to $8000
AER Compact Mobile Acoustic - $1500
Total: $8800

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Thanks Jon!

I'd agree on the Cigano and MD-50. But I think the new Latcho Drom Manouche guitars are a way better choice for the "Medium Rig." Much better performance for the $. And for the Elite I'd go with a Dupont Vieille Reserve (ultra traditional) or a Hahl (ultra modern). And of course if you consider vintage stuff, a good Busato or Favino are also top picks in that range. Selmers are in a league of their own...they are the apex predators!

And for amps, the Acoustic Image Clarus with a Raezer's Edge speaker is impossible to beat. That would be my "elite" amp pick.

The Phil Jones CUB ($495) is a great cheap/medium option for an amp. No frills, ultra light (11lbs), 100W, and sounds awesome.

'm
  • FingersFingers Los Angeles, California...the ValleyNew
    Nice list thanks for taking the time to do that.

I have left a message at the store, I want to ask a few questions about shipping etc and a case and stuff.....but I am poised to get the entry level Cigano...it seems a very good deal for the money.

I love this music and am drawn to it like a moth to a flame......so I vacillate as to whether I should just get something better out the gate.....but money is tight here. I could swing paying more but then I could also get a better one later and keep the Cigano as a backup.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Fun idea Djangology.

For the medium:
    Dupont Nomade $1750 (personal choice)
    Bigtone $300
    Roland AC 60 $500
    Setup $100
    Total $2650

With an AER alpha $850 instead of the Roland would be a $3000 Medium priced rig, a Latcho Drom or Dell arte could go instead of the Nomade to drop down the price.

Absolutely agree with a Dupont MD(C) 50 ( 50B, 50E, 60 or 100 also work) for the high priced rig but I would get an AER compact 60 with probably a Custom Deluxe Djangobooks Bigtone to go along with it.

If you prefer the Schertler amps,I'd go for the Schertler Basik $160 instead of the DYN everytime, it's cheaper and IMO sounds better with gypsy guitars.

Dream rig:
    Selmer #503 (hey it's a dream!)
    A nice condenser mic with a nice PA along with a personal sound engineer who knows what he's doing and it's always paying attention.
    Total: Priceless :lol:
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    djangology wrote:

I'd go with K&K instead of Bigtone (in fact I already did). It's less than 100$, sounds much more guitaresque AND you dond't need to drill holes to your top. And because of the climate I live in (damp in the summer, dry in the winter) I really appreciate the possibility to easily switch bridges instead of filing them lower or raising with shims. With Bigtone you're stuck with that one bridge.
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    I'd second what Michael said. The Acoustic Image/RE combo or the Cub are excellent amp choices.

My pick for the elite would be a new JP Favino.

Cheers,

Marc
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass