DjangoBooks.com

Thumb chords and hurt fingers

Luke ALuke A New
edited November 2008 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 9
I've been working on the chords using the thumb in the bass, and it's starting to hurt a bit. Particularly with the dom7 chords (root, 7, 10, 12), the first joint of my middle finger is feeling overworked. It cracks and generally aches a bit.

I'm working on getting the efficient shape (i.e., palm against the neck), but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem with these voicings. I can push through it, but I don't want to develop tendinitis or something.

Comments

• AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    I had a similar issue with the thumb chords when I switched from my regular acoustic to my Gitane with the slightly larger neck. Just back off a bit and come back to it - your hand will get used to it (or at least, mine did!)
  • Matthias LenzMatthias Lenz Lucklum, GermanyNew
    I´d join in with pretty much the same suggestion.

Keep working on it, but if it hurts, back off and come back to it after a few days.
    These "little pains" just tell you when you overdid it. It´ll only get really dangerous (tendonitis etc) when you keep on practicing the same stuff over and over, ignoring your hand/finger begging for a break.

Also, the whole hand needs to get used to the different positions and finger angles used in thumb-fretting/one finger double stops. Keep in mind that the hand should stay relaxed as much as possible all the time.

Good luck and take care :wink:
  • rstl99rstl99 CanadaNew
    I'm starting to work my way through the Gypsy Rhythm book (which I got a copy of with my guitar), and am seriously challenged by the emphasis on thumb usage in many of the chord structures offered. I play a used Dupont MD-50 which I recently acquired. Prior to that I was playing an Ibanez jazz archtop with narrower neck profile.

The main reason I am having difficulties in using the thumb in those chord forms is that my hands are on the smallish side, which causes serious extension issues that are not only painful, but often impossible to accomplish. :oops:

I am 52 so am concerned about making these old hands learn new tricks, and possibly incuring some damage as a result. :(

Other books I've come across don't put so much emphasis on using the thumb, and often rely on 3 note chord structures that are much easier to play. I don't plan on becoming a virtuoso on gypsy jazz, just want to be able to play songs and have fun.

Any advice on substituting the thumb usage with alternative approaches (barre chords, or whatever)? :?
  • rstl99rstl99 CanadaNew
    Should have read further, found an earlier post that describes this situation exactly:
    viewtopic.php?t=3088

Gives me some hope that by rotating the left hand somewhat (to the right) I may be able to attempt some of those thumb fingerings with less effort or discouragement. Will give it a try!
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Keep at it! I've seen gypsy kids with small hands play them... it's usually just a matter of finding the correct position and slowly getting them to sound clean, if you can't reach the bass yet just pretend you are and one day you will.
    And don't force it!!! just relax
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    rstl99 wrote:
    The main reason I am having difficulties in using the thumb in those chord forms is that my hands are on the smallish side, which causes serious extension issues that are not only painful, but often impossible to accomplish. :oops:

I am 52 ...

Funny, but I had just the opposite experience. When I took up guitar at the age of 10 (not gypsy guitar, unfortunately), I couldn't form the barre chords shown in some of my books, so I "invented" thumb chords. Now, much to my delight, I find that these are perfectly acceptable and common among gypsy players. My hands are also rather small, but I find the thumb chords to be very natural due to many years of practice at them. For those accustomed to planting their thumb on the back of the neck, it probably requires some rotation of the hand, as opposed to stretching.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles