DjangoBooks.com

Wawau Adler DVD

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
edited May 2009 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 2,161
We just finished filming the DVD, and we have probably 4 hours of usable material, i'm really happy with the results; i think it's going to be massive!

wawau was a great pleasure to work with, and i appreciate him trusting me in producing this dvd/come up with the lesson plan; i hope i was able to capture the essence of his style in this dvd...you guys will let me know!

i will post some behind the scenes clip soon

in the mean time, enjoy some of these warmup clips!

Comments

• aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    awesome

is there someone comping?

i'm sure you covered some of this, but does the the dvd get into depth about how he thinks about playing/improvising, or is it more of an intro/beginner level kind of thing?
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    the dvd is intermediate/advanced... but it is of benefit to beginners as well because there is a lot of performance footage.. we played over 70 songs (yes over SEVENTY!) .. We cover almost every possible progression in the gypsy jazz style and even a little bit of straight-ahead repertoire...

wawau really doesn't know what he plays, he knows NO theory.. he can name a few chords, but that's it, forget scales or arpeggios... that said, I worked out the lesson plan for him, so i was able to squeeze some great stuff out of him... after explaining to him what he's playing and having him repeat what i said on camera hahahaha

this will be a unique dvd that offers everyone an indepth look into his style... he gives really important advice on rhythm playing, on lead playing, dynamics, musicianship, etc...

i designed it in such a way that it does not conflict with the dvds i've already released.

One of the best ways of learning music is by watching / listening and jamming, that is the goal of this dvd.

wawau is just as good as bireli in the django style, and not far behind in bebop either
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    does he just play phrases? it sounds like he's playing some material like that, but it also sounds like he's using some kind of bebop-ish approach to soloing..

if not from theory, did he just pick up those kinds of licks from records ?

it is really great that you're making these DVDs. anyone else out there that you're thinking about doing a DVD on?
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Damn Dennis!!! This stuff looks really good. I guess I better start saving my pennies for the DVD.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • richdaiglerichdaigle SLC,UT✭✭✭✭
    Kind of a Gypsy Bopper eh?
    Fantastic! Can't wait to hear more!
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    WOW! Looks great! Can't wait!
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    The solo on "I'll see you in my dreams" is really fresh stuff: this guy can exchange blows with Django without quoting directly his phrases. Not so many around, fantastic!
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    guaranteed I will buy that DVD.