DjangoBooks.com

New to Gypsy Jazz

patrolpatrol Greece,Athens✭✭✭ Eimers & Goulielmos Antique
edited November 2008 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 49
Hello everybody.

First of all, I want to say that this forum is wonderful:).Provides many info and gives answers to many thoughts of mine.Also this community makes you feel more comfortable for gypsy jazz at least for a beginner like me...:)

I am playing guitar many years and the last 3-4 months i got really excited with gypsy jazz.

I read a lot of things in many sites and the thing is that i m little bit confused:(

I am planning to buy a Gypsy guitar and Start studying more serious(now I have an acoustic normal guitar).

My wallet cannot afford more than 800 Euros...to pay
...so..with what model can I start with?

Also what is the suitable pick for a beginner..Imagine that now I play with 1.5mm....pick.Also,Gypsy picking book that is on sale is necessary to start with?

Maybe seems very rookie all my post but I would appreciate to read some advices from you.

Thanks

Comments

• Matthias LenzMatthias Lenz Lucklum, GermanyNew
    Hi, patrol

first : welcome to the forum :!: :D

now for your questions :

The book "Gypsy Picking" by Michael Horowitz is strongly recommended, you won´t get any better tutorial on the special picking technique required to make the music sound the way it should...definitely a "must have"

Picks : 1,5 mm is okay when you feel comfortable with it, but a lot of people go with a thicker one. I felt fine with the Wegen Gypsyjazzpick, it´s 3,5 mm, which sounds like a lot, but you get used to it quickly. Just try and find out what you like.

Guitars under 800 Euros...there´s the "budget standard" Gitane DG-255, also the Gallato Modele Django, which is about the same price as the Gitane, but semi-handcrafted in Europe. I bought a Gitane a few weeks ago, and it serves me really well so far.

Keep playing and enjoy....best wishes,

Matthias
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Hi Patrol,
    I'd say if you want to stay really cheap, ie not to invest in anything, I think it's very fine and won't prevent you to play GJ.
    As Dennis often demonstrates, any guitar works fine if you want to learn the genre. Of course acoustic is better, and GJ is even better. But it isn't necessary.
    A thick pick will only help you to get your ears and your hands used to what it should feel like, but then again a cheap Dunlop 2mm should do it. But it's the right technique that will really deliver the right sound and the right drive to your playing, not the pick.
    Finally, there is plenty of material online, website or Youtube videos, that should give you the fundamentals of your GJ education :
    http://www.serendipity-band.com/misc/ma ... toc-en.htm for example, and the free lessons on this website.

If you're ready to commit and want to use your dedicated budget, then I'd go for a Cigano with a custom setup from Michael's website.
    A Wegen pick is going to help to get the tone.
    And for your education, you can't go wrong with any of Michael's books or Dennis Chang's DVDs.

Then it is necessary for you get some of these online play-along, or do them yourself, and find some friends to play with.
    Good luck !
    -JG
    - JG
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Yes "Gypsy Picking" is really important!!

From a past thread (that guy had a lower budget than you but it's still a good way to go):

With $400 I'd get a Cigano oval hole, some Argentine strings, you can get one set of each and see which one you like best, Wegen gypsy jazz pick 3.5mm is a good to place to start and won't let you do anything wrong while learning gypsy picking, a 2.5 mm will work too.

So:
    Cigano $330 with gigbag= $380
    Wegen= $15
    2 sets of Argentines (1 -10s, 1 -11s)= $18
    Gypsy picking book= $35

That's about $450 and a really good way to start. Amazing value for the $$ i think!

If you have a little more I'd get this:
    Hardshell case instead of gigbag

Dennis chang "the art of accompaniment" DVD =$50
    That will get you playing good rhythm which is very important.

Denis Chang's "Technique and improvisation" 4 dvd series around $200. You'll be playing in no time!!!

If you can afford it get a Gitane 300 series instead of the Cigano.

If you have any questions ask Michael Horowitz he knows a lot about this! and he's really honest.
  • patrolpatrol Greece,Athens✭✭✭ Eimers & Goulielmos Antique
    Thanks everybody for all the info that you gave me.

I really needed all that..:)

Today i spoke with the only shOp in Athens,Greece that sells gyspsy jazz guitars and they offer me

GITANE DG255---750 EUROS

GITANE DG250---790EUROS

DG-300 John Jorgenson--1050EUROS

• steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    you can get better prices buying online
  • AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    Thomann in Germany is very good for Europe

Shipping to Greece is only 20 Euros.

Here is the Gitane DG-255 for only 569 Euros

http://www.thomann.de/gr/gitane_dg255.htm

Good luck :)
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    You can get the Jorgenson DG 300 at djangobooks for the equivalent of 755 euros (976 us dollars) with hardshellcase included
    https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ca ... -saga.html

I used to own a DG 250 which I liked and would have kept if it wasn't for the neck being so thin, in retrospect if had had a Jorgenson I'd probably be still playing it to this day.
  • AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    You can get the Jorgenson DG 300 at djangobooks for the equivalent of 755 euros (976 us dollars) with hardshellcase included
    https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ca ... -saga.html

I used to own a DG 250 which I liked and would have kept if it wasn't for the neck being so thin, in retrospect if had had a Jorgenson I'd probably be still playing it to this day.

This is quite true... My bandmate has at 250-M and the neck is oddly thin. I have a Jorgenson 320 (which I got through this site) and I love it.
  • Argyle DaveArgyle Dave bellingham,WANew
    I have a Gitane Jorgenson Model which is about a year old that I plan to put up for sale. I am asking 950.00 US dollars. I don't know what that is in euros or what shipping to europe would cost. The guitar comes with a Dupont bridge, Shatten pickup and a hard shell case. I'll be takeing pictures of it tomorrow and posting it for sale on this forum. Let me know if you are interested.

Dave
  • patrolpatrol Greece,Athens✭✭✭ Eimers & Goulielmos Antique
    thanks alot.

I think that I found a used one, Saga Gitane 250,2 years old used and the guy will give me around 300Euros.

:)

I think its ok for mY beginning :)

Thanks anyway