DjangoBooks.com

Moustache piece fell off

Hi,

I have a Cigano GJ-10, which is a very nice guitar for it's price (I didn't buy it here, I bought it in a shop in Holland). However after about two weeks of owning it, the left moustache piece (the things at the side of the bridge) just fell off.

I don't think this is acceptable for a new guitar, but I'm in doubt about just taking the whole thing back. The shop is pretty far away and getting there will cost me travel money and a lot of time. And the people in the shop didn't look or sound like they knew much about GJ guitars. I don't think they'll just glue it back on for me, so they'll probably send it back to Saga and odds are I won't see my guitar back for half a year...

Should I just glue it back on myself? I have two left hands when it comes to tools and fixing stuff, but this seems so simple, it shouldn't take me more than a minute. However I'm not sure what kind of glue to use. And I don't wanna do anything to the guitar I'm not sure about, if I do something stupid I will not have a warranty ofcourse. So is it wise to operate on it myself?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Hey this stuff happens. When I got my Dupont one of the moustaches had fallen off during shipping to the US where I picked up the guitar in person. As you are now I was worried and almost backed off the deal... but the guy that sold it to me who knows a lot about this kind of instruments explained that it was normal and had happened before, the guitar sounded so good that I bought it anyway.

I used white carpenters glue and I applied pressure and put some masking tape to keep the thing in place while the glue hardened, cleaned the excess off with a damp cloth and the next day I took the tape off... the moustache is still in place today more than a year later and looks as if it had been there all along.
    I heard you can use double sided adhesive tape too... just don't use super glue or the really hardcore stuff because if you get it wrong or crooked it's staying like that.

Gluing a moustache is simple but the fact that it fell off may indicate the humidity level where you keep your guitar is very high so you might want to buy an hygrometer to monitor the relative humidity percentage so nothing else comes loose.

Good luck!
  • SimoniusSimonius New
    Hmm, a hygrometer? I'm a student, I can hardly afford a new set of strings. But thanks for the help. I'll glue it on tonight and I guess I'll post the results here!
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    In that case, you can at least check online the weather for the place you live in at google weather or yahoo... keep in mind it might be different inside your home, especially if you have a heating system.
    I don't remember too well but if it's below 40% you need to humidify if it's above 70% you need a drier environment.
    You can use a perforated plastic bag with a damp sponge inside your case to increase humidity or the same bag with rice to decrease it.

And remember don't use a glue that's too strong!!
    That white paste glue we used in kindergarden is what I used.