DjangoBooks.com

Minch valse chart/lead sheet

ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Repertoire Posts: 296
Does anyone have a chord chart for Minch Valse? I'm especially interested in the chords Matelo plays before the melody begins in this video:

I've done a rough transcription of this song, but I would also love to see if anyone has transcribed Matelo's version in this video. I'm kind of at a loss here as to what they are playing, as I have never found even a simple chart for the song. Any takers?

Many thanks,
Shawn

Comments

• V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    Ah, I love this video! Matelot's playing is unmatchable.

Beginning chords sound (and look) like:

[code]A Bbdim E7
    --------
    2--2--3-
    2--0--1-
    2--2--2-
    0--1--2-
    --------[/code]

I've always found it difficult to figure out the exact voicings that gypsies use (You can see Boulou using a mixture of open chords and movable voicings). You either just have to know them beforehand (which depends on region and style) or have someone show you... but the chords as best I can make out seem to be:

[code]
    Form AABA

A Section:
    | A | A | A | A | A | A | E7 | E7 |
    | E7 | E7 | E7 | E7 | E7 | E7 | Ab7| A |
    | A | A | A | A | F#-| F#-| B- | B- |
    | B- | F7 | A | A | F#-| E7 | A | A |

B Section:
    | E | E | E | E | E/Ab| Gdim| F#-| B7 |
    | F#-| B7 | F#-| B7 | F#- | B7 | E | E |
    | E | E | E | E | Db7 | Db7 | F#-| F#-|
    | F#-| F7 | A/E| A | F#- | F7 | E7 | E7 |
    [/code]

It's a pretty standard Waltz progression, and there are a lot of variations on it, so I might be fudging a few of those chords in favor of the "norm".

The end of the B section might not end on the V (E7), but that's what it sounds like the melody is hinting at. Otherwise, it's probably the I (A).
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    Many thanks V-dub. If you ever transcribe and/or know of a transcription of Matelo's lead guitar from this video I would be most appreciative. I've yet to find a really good lead transcription for Minch Valse (especially as played in this video).

Thanks for everything,
    Shawn
  • FransFrans The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    Hi Shawn,
    Did you check Romane's "Impair & Valse", I believe he does Mintch Valse and the disc also containes the written transcription, I'm not sure how close he is to the Ferret version
    kind regards

Frans