DjangoBooks.com

some basic equipment questions

django_njdjango_nj New
edited December 2008 in Recording Posts: 18
Hey everyone,

Ok so basically I don't have much of a studio. What I do have is a pair of SC-T microphones , which I find to be very good and inexpensive condenser mics (ADK is the brand I think?). I run the mic with phantom power through an inexpensive behringer preamp, and the sound is superb considering what I spent altogether.

Recently I've been roaming around these forums and was wondering if people could clear up what exactly some equipment would be used for.

The first thing that caught my attention was the RC20XL, some kind of loop machine? Now I don't know if many here are familiar with making beats, but isnt that similar to an MPC (drum machine), except with less functionality? But I guess it does differ in that it has pedals.

The other thing I've been reading about is the Zoom H2. What exactly is this? It has an internal mic or you plug an external one in and it acts as a preamp?

Also on another note, I was wondering if anyone could recommend to me some good gypsy jazz guitars that are < $500.
I saw on a site a Cigano GJ15 and GJ10 (either or) for $497 w/ case and shipping included.

Other inexpensive names Ive heard are Gitane D250.

I really like the very dry intense sound. I would spend more if I could trust me!
always looking for a jam or even a teacher.

Comments

The Zoom H2 is a portable handheld recorder. You can use the internal mics or plug your own mics into it. It has a USB.

I have the Zoom H4 which similar to the H2, except that it is a multitrack recorder (4-track with the ability to bounce tracks as well as other functions). It's one of the best purchases I've made in the past several years. It's an amazing unit. The onboard mics sound great imo. While I've used it to mix multitrack recordings, I often drop tracks into GarageBand to do so. You can record tracks as mp3 or wav files on the H4, not sure about the H2. I love being able to record anywhere ... I don't have to be tethered to my computer or trapped in a studio to cut a track.

The Boss RC20XL is a looper, but I'm not sure how it compares to the MPC. With the Boss, you lay down a track and loop it ... then keep adding tracks if you wish. I received one as a gift and I really enjoy it, but were I buying a looper I'd look into the Digitech JamMan (mainly b/c of the usb connection, which the Boss doesn't have).

I don't have any experience with the Ciganos, but I've read great things about them and the price is great! You may be able to find some used Gitanes in your price range. I got my Gitane D500 off ebay for around $500 with case.
  • joe10joe10 Charlotte, NCNew
    Like Stackabones I have a Zoom H4 and *really* enjoy it. The screen is small, which makes the interface a bit of a chore to use, but if you can operate your cel phone at more then a basic level you'll be fine.

One big difference between the H2 and the H4 is the H4 has XLR inputs, so you can use your Low-z cables. It also has Phantom Power for them.

The four track is neat, though basic. You can record 2 simultaneous tracks, then monitor (listen to) them as you lay down two more. to echo Stackabones, you can then bounce 2 or more to a file (right on the device) then import that mix to a track, thus freeing up tracks to continue layering... I think at that point it might be more of a stunt then a real environment for multi-track mixing, but it could be done.

I'm not sure about the Boss Looper, but I have a Digitech Jamman and an Akai Headrush and my percussion guy has an MPC - they're both "samplers", but the difference is, well, orthogonal. The MPC is really meant to do things in two steps - sample and modify, then perform, usually with the beet pads. The Looper (Boss or other) is meant for real-time capture via foot controls of sounds which will play in a coordinated, synchronized stream. At its most basic, you record a rhythm line, then step on the pedal again and it goes into overdub mode and you can lead over that. Many people use the loop pedal for a practice buddy, which you could certainly do with a trigger based sampler. The MPC is probably able to do much more then the Loop Pedal, but the Looper is more geared towards "sit down in a chair and jam". I have an SP-404 I hardly use, and I use both of my loop pedals a lot (for subtly different uses) and want another, a Boss RC-2 for it's battery power so I can take it out busking.

FWIW, I just ordered a Cigano GJ-15 here, though am also mightily tempted by the Gitane D-500 for a little more. I'd strongly recommend buying from Michael and Django Books - the service and reputation you'll get here will pay off over time, I'm sure, and his prices and domain knowledge can't be beat!
  • joe10joe10 Charlotte, NCNew
    Oh, one more thing - the Zoom H4 can act as a computer interface, or AD/DA converter, if you will. That is, somehow you go from the preamp into your computer - through your sound card, or an interface of some sort. With the H4 you can either record or use it to input directly to GarageBand, Cubase, Live, etc.

I've been tempted to flog my Presonus FireBox (and my collection of 4-track cassette decks) and just use this for everything... It's a darn handy device.