DjangoBooks.com

need purchase advice

andmerandmer New York✭✭✭
Hey Guys,

I'm a new member, great community here and I'm looking for some purchase advice.

I'm looking for a gypsy jazz guitar in the sub $1000 price range. I want a D hole and I want a wider neck(nut?) similar to classical neck with nice low action. looking for suggestions on best playability and sound.

thanks!

Comments

• andmerandmer New York✭✭✭
    Hey Michael, thanks for the info.

I was doing some research and you described the d-500 as sort of wet and bass heavy sounding due to the very straight neck of an older model. Do you find that with Cigano as well?

Also for each what is your recommended setup option? Thanks for your time.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    There's a big difference between the Gitane DG-255 and the Cigano GJ-10...the GJ-10 has more neck angle and an overall better tone.

But the D-500 and GJ-15 are not as different...the GJ-15 does seem to have more neck angle but not a big difference. The D-500 is a very good sounding guitar and looks nice too....I think it edges out the GJ-15. But if $ is very important the GJ-15 is fine.

The setup special is the best way to go...that way the guitar will be in perfect playing condition out of the box. The factory setups are usually not so great and the bridges are too heavy which tends to mute the tone and volume of the guitar. Frets are often uneven as well, so a fret level helps. The Setup special will take care of all of that...

BTW, all the D holes, especially the 12 fret ones, are bass heavy. If you want a bright, dry guitar then you'll need to go with a 14 fret oval.

thanks!

'm
    sounds good. does D-500 tailpiece have a peg for a strap? or would i need to upgrade for that.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    The d500 are nice. I remember when I had a dg250 and both my rhythm players d500 I was very jealous!! Everytime I took a lead on their guitars I sounded louder and fatter plus the shorter scale kinda feels like a Gibson.
    If I were to go back to those times I'd much rather have either a Dg300 (better tone and much better neck) or a d500.
    True, D500 are very bassy and wet but a great starter guitar.
    And Michael's right, Sagas really improve with a better bridge and setup, go for it!

Good luck!
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    May I recommend using this site to purchase your guitar? I've had excellent service from Michael and Josh. My DG-300 with a Dupont bridge is very nice and very playable. I had a DG-300 D hole and Josh had made a custom bridge for it which greatly improves the sound.
    Listen to these guys, they see a lot of guitars and they know what they're taking about.
    I found their prices can't be beat, and their service is first rate.

Good luck with the new guitar.
    oh yeah. I'm definitely gonna order from this site. just trying to nail down the final details in my head.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    andmer wrote:
    sounds good. does D-500 tailpiece have a peg for a strap? or would i need to upgrade for that.

No, there is not an endpin. We could add one...or if you get a bigtone then it comes with one.

'm