DjangoBooks.com

Thumb grip when soloing

FransFrans The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
edited January 2009 in Technique Posts: 53
Hi all,
I noticed recently that some players have their left-hand thumb/hand in the "gypsy" position when soloing while others favour the "classical" position (thumb behind the neck) , Bireli/Stochelo for instance are more or less showing their thumb while Angelo seems to be in classical position all the time
Would this be a leftover from playing rhythm and using your thumb for this ?
I know Samy Daussat favours and teaches the "gypsy" grip for both rhythm and soloing, are there distinct advantages or reasons to prefer one above the other or is this just a matter of coincidence ?
kind regards

Frans

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    thumb behind neck gives less control over the string but gives you wider range of motion and it's ideal for passages that involve stretches or when you play with four fingers

thumb above neck gives you better control over the strings (to prepare for bends, vibrato, or to have a secure grip over certain notes/chords)...

so it really depends on the situtation
  • FransFrans The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    Hi Dennis,
    Thanks for your reply, I never looked at it this way, I always thought it was just a matter of preference
    Ideally I should be able to use both, right ?
    kind regards

Frans