DjangoBooks.com

Flight cases and flying?

Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
Any recommendations for ATA flight cases for a GJ guitar? I hate the thought of checking a guitar as baggage, but I have some East Coast projects/gigs coming up and I'd like to bring my new-found passion.
Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com

Comments

• Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    There must be some posts about this already, but here's what I can tell you :

- First thing is to try to get it on the plane. Tell them you always do it, and the flight attendant usually leave it in the Business class closet. Usually works just fine most of the time.

- If they don't want to, don't insist too much, they'll take the final decision they want anyway. Any decent case should do it. Most important is to ask your case goes in the over sized bin. Reason why it matters is that the over sized luggage go into the plane through a straight carpet, so you don't take the risk of having it stuck and damaged.

It is important to have it insulated with a little bit of journal. Add some bubble wrap around the head. Make sure it doesn't move inside the case. People's advice vary, but I don't think you don't need to take the strings off, simply remove the bridge.

I always thought bright colors for a guitar case is a good choice, b/c they'll notice it and maybe be more careful.
    Calton cases is the must, but they're expensive and the delays are around 6 months.
    ATA-cases are heavy and expensive too.
    Michael carries some Eastman cases that should do a good job. If you already have another case, it's likely that it'll be enough.
    I now have one Eastman and a Calton and I'm Happy with it.

But I have to say, before I realized there was a market for those cases, I never really cared about this and it always went fine...
    - JG
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    I started using a Calton this year, man I cannot imagine anything else now that I've used this. I know they're expensive but if you can find one it's soooo worth it in my opinion and you'll never get rid of it no matter how many times you change guitars. Peace of mind if you can afford it. I know we don't all have aroung 1g laying around just for a case but you'll never need another travel case. Built like a tank, does what it's made to do. Just love it.
    2 cents.
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Planes are scary!
    Not just the damage, your guitar can get lost as well.
    I know a guy who went to Samois and the airline lost his guitar, he had to spend all the festival without an instrument, while his guitar was sightseeing in Shangai!

Try to carry it on, there's always space in first class closets or in the crew baggage compartments. Tell them your guitar was owned by Django himself and it's a piece of music history, cry if you have to but don't let them take it.
    BTW if you bring a flight case or one that's bulky they will refuse to let it onboard for sure, a hard gigbag is the best option