DjangoBooks.com

Need Help Notating La Gitane

periclimenespericlimenes Santa Ana, CANew
edited February 2009 in Repertoire Posts: 140
My GJ teacher suggested I try to learn La Gitane, so I have been trying to work it out and notate it at the same time. The only recording I have is Angelo Debarre's (Gypsy Guitars), so I have been trying to work from that. I did see that Barry Warren was kind enough to post a transcription, so I took a peek at that to see if I was on the right track and I had a question about notating the rhythm.

Debarre's version seems to differ from Barry Warren's in the general rhythm. Specifically, the main riff of the A theme (FGF DCBb A FGG# A) seems to start near the 2nd beat of the measure (of Debarre's), as opposed to the first (Warren's powertab). Sometimes it is just a straight ahead triplet, but at other times I am hearing 7 notes (FGFEDCBb) before landing in A and the first is just ahead of the second beat in the first measure.

I have it notated starting on the last 8th of an 1/4 note triplet on the first beat of a measure (quarter rest|quarter rest| triplet[8th rest 8th rest F])
then triplets for the remaining six notes, landing on A on the first beat of the next measure.

Does that seem right?

I'm not implying that Barry Warren's is somehow incorrect or not okay (thanks again to him for posting it!), as I realize there are many versions out there. But, if someone is familiar with the Debarre version I am using and can answer this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Comments

• CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I would try hunting down the Tchan-Tchou version. Angelo's version is killin' but Tchan-Tchou's besides being the original is a lot slower and clear. I know this doesn't answer your questions concerning Barry's transcription which I admit I haven't looked at. So I am not sure about any of that.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.