DjangoBooks.com

GALLATO RS 1939

I've just seen on the internet a fab guitar called the Gallato RS 1939 signature model Agelo Debarre it is the leftie model as I'm a leftie! does anyone have any info about this guitar if its good or ont ,would be glad of some help
cheers Djanet :D

Comments

• fraterfrater Prodigy
    Since Gallato parted with spanish luthier Geronimo Mateos, those guitars have been a bit discredited (also because Gallato took the Chinese route!).

Now the firm is trying to get back to the old standards (I think the 1939 is made in France) which have always been about original gyspy tone more than exquisite craftmanship. I heard some sound samples of the 1939 and they sounded really good. Maybe before buying one try to check out the neck dimension: way back Gallato had very chunky ones (not on the Debarre model though).

Good luck!
  • DjanetDjanet East holland
    Thanks so much for that quick reply and the info which has been very useful to me.

Djanet :wink:
    Hi there !

I'm the creator of the Gallato RS 1939. I designed this guitar in 2002, after disassembling my Selmer 452. As a result the RS 1939 is an exact replica of this excellent guitar, and professional Gipsy Jazz players like Angelo Debarre, Tchavolo Schmitt, Matcho Winterstein and Jean-Jacques Gristi loved it. Here what they said about it :

- In live sessions with a great mic or in a club without an amp, it's an instrument that you can rely on.
    - For us musicians, this guitar is a clone of the Selmer 452 series. The comparison we did was convincing, it's the greatest replica we've ever tried.

Serge Gallato, luthier.
  • DjanetDjanet East holland
    Serge I feel honoured that you have taken the time to write about you'r guitar .I have this model now a few weeks in house and its wonderful, everyone gives me compliments about how beautiful a sound this guitar gives ,now it is up to me to play at the standard of the Greats!!!!being lefthanded has always been a handicap ,now no more your guitar is THE BEST.
    My very best wishes and grateful thanks
    Janet....
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    This looks interesting... I know Geronimo Mateos who built what most players consider the good Gallatos, is not behind this model... But seems they are now back to being made in France.
    They feature a real pliage with the bend right beneath the bridge, enclosed tuners, good tailpiece, Do they have the sound??
    I'd love to try one, for around $2000 US it could be a good deal.
    Dear Djanet, I'm glad you enjoyed this guitar of mine. I put all my skills into it and I'm very proud of the result. Don't hesitate on telling me anything that you find could be improved !

BluesBop Harry, the Gallato RS 1939 is only €1280, so it would be about $1620, probably $1650 if you add the shipping, done by UPS.

If you have some skills in repairing guitars or customising, you can also have an used one for only $1000 including shipping in this page. I hope you will enjoy this guitar like everybody does !

Thank you for your welcoming, and sorry for my poor english.
    See you all,
    Regards.
  • jeff562jeff562 ✭✭
    Serge,
    DO you still make them with the chunkier squared off neck ? I love that !!!
    Hi Jeff,

Sorry for my late answer, I was setting up everything for the Musikmesse in Frankfurt this month.

Yes, the Gallato RS1939 has this kind of neck. It's more than one inch wide and squared like the Selmer was in the past. If you like playing gipsy jazz, no other guitar could fit better to your needs !

Regards,
    Serge.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I'm going to be deleting this thread in a few days. I just wanted to let you all know. This topic isn't a frequently asked question. I would move the thread but I don't have permissions.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    djangology wrote:
    I'm going to be deleting this thread in a few days. I just wanted to let you all know. This topic isn't a frequently asked question. I would move the thread but I don't have permissions.

just moved it....