DjangoBooks.com

R-Vingt 6 or R-26 chord chart

HotBootsHotBoots East Bay, CANew
edited March 2009 in Repertoire Posts: 29
I have been doodling around with this tune (inspired from Adrien playing it at Duc Des Lombards). I'm not certain I'm doing the changes right for the main section - its something like D-D7-G#dim-A7 but I know i'm missing something in there. I got linked up to the Djangopedia fake book list thing and I even made a wiki account - but it won't let me view anything.

So, who's got a chart? or who can help me out!?

thanks.

Nick

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    edited March 2009 Posts: 1,379
    I don't play this tune but by watching the video you mentioned I'm pretty sure it's a "rhythm changes" A section, like Daphne, Micro, etc.

Here are the basic chords, two beats each:
    D6 Bm7 Em7 A7 D6 Bm7 Em7 A7 D6 D7 G6 Gm D6 Bm7 Em7 A7 (or Eb7 for a hip sound)

There's a lot a variations for this progression, Jamey Aebersold's "I got Rhythm Changes" book is a good resource.

For the B section i think it's G G#dim D6 D6 F#m7/C# Cm6 (B7/C) Em7/B A7 one bar each.

Mathieu Chatelain plays D6 D6 Eb9 Eb9 D6 D6 Eb9 Eb9 for the first eight bars of the A section, a common practice for this kind of changes.
    I believe for the next eight he goes something like: D6 Cdim7(or D7/C) G/B Gm/Bb D6 D6 A7 A7 but Mathieu substitutes chords sometimes like Eb7 instead of A7 so listen and watch to learn all the different ways.

Michael Horowitz' "Gypsy Rhythm" book has lots of ways to play Rhythm changes with gypsy style voicings.

For learning how to improvise on this, Denis Chang's Dvds "technique and improvisation" are great!!
  • HotBootsHotBoots East Bay, CANew
    thanks for the quick reply Harry! I definitely know what your talking about with the rhythym changes.. now i need to mess around till i found out exactly what Mathieu is doing because i want to focus on where Adrien is inserting the outside licks. Adrien reminds me of django-trane, in this recording I am recognizing some Martino type licks too, super modern gypsy!
    Yes Adrien plays very modern stuff. I have found multiple examples of altered scales, symmetric augmented, diminished scale, side slipping... really wonderful ideas.
    He plays outside mostly around the A7 (Eb7) but that oversimplifying it, he can play out/in anywhere.

Mathieu will vary the chords but at least for one chorus he plays the ones i described in my first post, he is basically thinking D - A7 one bar each and he subs the A7 with a Eb9. Since the Bm7 is so close to the D6 you can ignore it and the same goes for the Em7.
    He uses standard gypsy voicings so it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out, the key to his style is his awesome right hand and sense of swing.

BTW note the super cool way they segue into "Impressions" in that video 6:10
    Just heard that in one of Django's versions (Integrale 13) for the bridge he does rhythm changes in Bb.
  • HotBootsHotBoots East Bay, CANew
    awesome, thanks for all the input. I just started messing around with it again and am slowly putting together the pattern their playing. it seems to be different to django's.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Mathieu Chatelain plays D6 D6 Eb9 Eb9 D6 D6 Eb9 Eb9 for the first eight bars of the A section, a common practice for this kind of changes.
    I believe for the next eight he goes something like: D6 Cdim7(or D7/C) G/B Gm/Bb D6 D6 A7 A7 but Mathieu substitutes chords sometimes like Eb7 instead of A7 so listen and watch to learn all the different ways.

Mathieu mentioned using this once for the 2nd half of the A section on Rhythm Changes in D--

D6 D7/C G/B Gm/Bb D6/A A7/G D/F# A7#5

it creates a nice little bass line you can use for emphasis running down the 6th string. Also, did you mean the first 4 bars in your D6 and Eb9 example above, or have you heard him doing that for the whole 8? I've seen Mathieu doing that over the first 4 (or even just staying on D the whole time) but then he went to the descending thing...

best,
    Jack.
    p.s. It might be that the reason you can't view the page on Djangopedia is because there isn't one there...no one's made one for that tune yet. Did you try the other tunes? The ones in blue should be viewable...
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention this one too:
    viewtopic.php?t=1958

best,
    Jack.
    Jack wrote:

Mathieu mentioned using this once for the 2nd half of the A section on Rhythm Changes in D--

D6 D7/C G/B Gm/Bb D6/A A7/G D/F# A7#5

it creates a nice little bass line you can use for emphasis running down the 6th string.

Nice!
    I think he does that a few times on the video in question

Also on the turnaround Adrien goes D6 Cm6 Bm6 Bbm6 A7 (Actually A octaves on the sixth and fourth strings with the fifth string ringing open) Just before he begins his solo with that great bluesy bend.

Mathieu does F#m7 B13/C Em9/B A13/Bb a lot though I hear sometimes he uses Cm6 for the second chord then Em9/B and various forms of A7 and Eb7 for the V.

Also, did you mean the first 4 bars in your D6 and Eb9 example above, or have you heard him doing that for the whole 8? I've seen Mathieu doing that over the first 4 (or even just staying on D the whole time) but then he went to the descending thing...

Yeah my mistake, sorry I meant the first 4 bars then he does that descending thing.
    It's great how he reacts to what Adrien's playing he'll stay on the D or change to best complement the solo.
    BTW note the super cool way they segue into "Impressions" in that video 6:10
    Another mistake I meant around 2:30