DjangoBooks.com

Stochelo and DENIS in Montreal!

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
edited March 2009 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 1,665
Just got back to Nova Scotia from a possibly once in a lifetime experience in Montreal, where Stochelo appeared at the Upstairs Jazz Club with Denis Chang and members of Denis's group. It was nothing short of amazing. Stochelo was everything expected - simply stupendous. Incredible virtuosity, imagination, musicianship, and even humor.

Even more amazing was our own Denis Chang. I've got Denis's "Nature Boy" CD, plus all of his instructional DVDs, and have always been impressed by his playing as well as his skill as an instructor. But Saturday he just blew us all away, more than holding his own with the master. It was simply a delight to see and hear these two great musicians play off of each other, trade hot and tasty solos, and share laughs. They appeared very relaxed and very much a team, generating great star power but no one acting like a star.

I also have to congratulate Denis's other compatriots, Romain Vuillemin on rhythm guitar and Paul VanDyk on bass. Paul wowed the crowd with some great solos, and Romain quietly provided a solid rhythm all night long, the unsung hero of the night.

It was great to see Wayne Nakamura again and to meet up with some folks from New York and Maine who will be at Django in June this year.

Thanks to Denis and the Upstairs Jazz Club for making this possible. Who's next? Angelo perhaps?
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭
    My girlfriend and I made the trip from central Virginia (it's not that long a trip actually) for friday's show. What an incredible opportunity to see a master at work! And Denis and his group were also fantastic. We caught the first set and it was over all too quickly!! But, as I said to Stochelo as we were leaving, I'd do it all again in a heartbeat!!
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    edited March 2009 Posts: 2,161
    thanks for the nice comments! Stochelo and I are extremely exhausted... 4 days of recording NON STOP!!!! Plus it's not easy to accomodate 5 people in one 's apartment! (so now gonzalo bergara, stochelo rosenberg, andreas oberg, chriss campion, lollo meier, tim kliphuis, emmanuel kassimo, ritary gaguenetti, stephane wrembel, the almighty ted gottegen (my main man!) have all slept on my couch... but i still can't get scarlet johansson!!!)

Anyway, I think we made the ultimate Stochelo Rosenberg instructional DVD .... we might have 5 hours worth of usable material for the "in the style of" DVD... and the waltz DVD is going to be massive (interactive playalong, transcriptions, close ups, chord voicings, etc... etc....)

and since i produced the DVDs you can be sure there will be lots of great gags/pranks..... I actually managed to convice stochelo to do some hilarious gags! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

And now I am off to sleep for a month...
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Great time to be learning Jazz manouche!
    Count me in for all the DVDs and a HD signed copy of the Scarlet Johansson one!
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Any chance Marisa Tomei? 8)
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    A Waltz DVD!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Shit keep me up to date as to when that is coming out. Any ideas which waltzes are going to be on it?
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    CalebFSU wrote:
    Any ideas which waltzes are going to be on it?

as the rhythm guitarist and DVD producer, I'm afraid I have no clue which waltzes are going to be on it.....

haha jk

Two waltzes by tchan-tchou
    Three by his uncle Wasso Grunholz
    One by Bamboula Ferre
    Two of his own compositions

8 waltzes of varying difficulty ... Shot from two camera angles... He shows you the chord voicings that he uses, he slows down the difficult passages for you, and his cousin Manuel shares a very important message about Eddy Murphy at the end of the DVD (Dennis style ending)...

these are the ultimate chopbuilders.... and it's not over yet... a waltz DVD volume 2 is a possibility in the near future :wink:
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    dennis wrote:
    CalebFSU wrote:
    Any ideas which waltzes are going to be on it?

as the rhythm guitarist and DVD producer, I'm afraid I have no clue which waltzes are going to be on it.....

:wink: Merci
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • chappiechappie ✭✭✭✭
    put me down as your first customer! It was great to see you in Brooklyn Denis. Next time you have to come for a dinner feast.
    Charlie
    charlie
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    wow, nice one Denis! Thanks for getting Stochelo to sit down and film this stuff...
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    This sounds AMAZING...can't wait to check them out! Cracks me up you made him use the couch...it's Stochelo, man, give him the bed!

best,
    Jack.