DjangoBooks.com

budget favino sized?

andmerandmer New York✭✭✭
As i understand it the best favino copy is the Dell'Arte US Hommage, but the price 2.5k+ is more than I prefer to spend at this time.

I've heard that the musiclink hommage copies are not all that good, Anybody have any experiences with a good sounding/playing 1k'ish priced favino copy?

Comments

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    edited March 2009 Posts: 1,018
  • andmerandmer New York✭✭✭
    ahh yes. i was looking at this, but as i understand it, it is not favino sized body.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The Music Link guitars are the only ones that are Favino sized under $1K. Unfortunately they don't tend to sound as good as the Sagas, but they work well for some people. Generally they tend to be a bit overbuilt (very heavy) and not that loud. But the tone is pretty good and they look nice. But it's hard to beat the projection on the Sagas...especially the Cigano GJ-10 or the DG-300.

Like you said, if you want a Favino style guitar the US made Hommage is hard to beat. I'm still amazed they can make something that good for so little $.

'm
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    andmer... yeah, your probably right. not much to choose from under the $1500 range.
  • JohanJohan Oslo, NorwayNew
    I am actually very satisfied with my Debarre signature music link. But mine is a faulty model with rosewood back and sides instead of the Debarre guitars maple. Some has said this may have helped its sound. I would say if you really want a favino copy take one of these Asian made instead of changing to selmer.
    Band up and running! Finaly!
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    You should also check out Harmsworth & Willis guitars. I played a handful of their guitars at last years Gossington festival and they had one that had a Favino sound to it.

http://www.harmsworthandwillis.co.uk/
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    andmer wrote:
    I've heard that the musiclink hommage copies are not all that good, Anybody have any experiences with a good sounding/playing 1k'ish priced favino copy?

I've got an Asian-made Hommage, and I love it; I ended up selling my US-made Dell'Arte because it ended up just sitting in its case. They are pretty heavy, but the tone is there for me--not as loud as Sagas, but much richer without a lot of the overtones that give the Sagas that 'wet' sound. (I've owned two Gitanes over the years.) The one change I made was to have a new bridge built to accommodate a pickup; I think the stock bridge was a little lower.

I'd give it a go--if you're set on a Favino style, there isn't really another option at the price.

best,
    Jack.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Jack wrote:

I've got an Asian-made Hommage, and I love it; I ended up selling my US-made Dell'Arte because it ended up just sitting in its case.

Hi Jack...what US model Dell Arte did you have? Wasn't it the Minor Swing or Dark Eyes? Those were not Dell Arte's best models. I think you'll find that the the US made Hommage is a completely different animal.

'm
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it was a Minor Swing. The Hommage is definitely something else, agreed. If I could have afforded a US one, I'd have likely gone that route, but the cheaper one was still a lot better than I'd expected.

best,
    Jack.