DjangoBooks.com

Advice on practice

edited April 2009 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 18
Hello. I have just bought the Gypsy Rhythm and Gypsy Picking books and I would appreciate some advice on how to incorporate the material of these books into my practice sessions. I am an intermediate-level guitarist, currently studying Vol. 3 of the Berklee series and, besides jazz, I also study genres such as bluegrass, western swing and Brazilian jazz. My questions are the following.

1. In Gypsy Picking, it is suggested that the student change his picking technique to the technique used by Gypsy jazz guitarists. I wouldn't like to abandon ordinary alternate picking - since it was most natural to me from the moment I picked up the guitar - but I would like to introduce rest-stroke sweeps into my playing as well as make all my downstrokes (at least up to moderate speeds) rest strokes. How should I practice the material in the book together with my alternate-picking studies in order not to drive my right hand crazy?
2. I am planning to study Gypsy jazz for about 2 hours every day for the following year. Could anybody suggest an appropriate practice regimen based on the GP and GR books?

Comments

• SalieriSalieri Europe, Romania✭✭✭
    I'll response to first question...I will give you an advice as beginner, I practice gypsy jazz for about 4-5 months, but i don't have problems with gypsy picking. So...my advice is to use this picking technique, not alternate and keep the good position, watch in Gypsy Picking book if you have...This technique gives you more powerfull attack and more good sound. When I was at in first month of gypsy jazz I had the same problem, but after about 1 month of practicing this technique is very easy !

One more thing: If you know Zakk Wylde, he use this technique and he plays rock !

Keep practicing,
    Stefan.
    140annl.png
    Visit my YouTube profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/Xiphosss
    Vive Django!
  • patrolpatrol Greece,Athens✭✭✭ Eimers & Goulielmos Antique
    Hello my friend,it´s very nice that you are starting learning gypsy jazz.I had the same thoughts when I started,too.I am still learning...I am a beginner too..only 4 months but really worths the trying:)
    Both Gypsy Rhythm and Gypsy Picking books are usefull n nice.About the pick its a matter of use..
    With the pick time is needed...I have troubles unitl now...My notes are not so clear most of the time..n I am slower but I think that this needs practice

:)

Regards from Athens,Greece :lol::lol:
    Salieri and patrol, thanks for your replies. :D

Regarding Salieri's answer I have to stress that I don't wish to commit myself to the Gypsy jazz picking style, but rather use some bits of it to improve my picking technique (like some jazz guys who use alternate picking but change to rest-stroke picking for certain passages). The reason is that I play (or at least try to play) some acoustic styles that require alternate picking. So I need some advice on how to incorporate the material of GP in my schedule in a meaningful way.

In contrast, I have absolutely no problem with the Gypsy Rhythm book. In the first week, I could play a few of the Pompe styles up to medium tempos, while the chords don't present any trouble. This is one of the few books I will really try to finish.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

Regarding Salieri's answer I have to stress that I don't wish to commit myself to the Gypsy jazz picking style, but rather use some bits of it to improve my picking technique (like some jazz guys who use alternate picking but change to rest-stroke picking for certain passages).

A lot of people ask this...but generally I've noticed it's best to just commit to the Gypsy Picking for an extended period. It's really hard to master the motions if you try to mix it with another technique. Your muscle memory gets confused and you often end up with worse technique then you started with. This doesn't happen to everyone, but most people do much better if they can really focus on the rest-stroke style exclusively for at least 6 months.

I always thought I'd end up mixing my technique but once I went with the rest-stroke technique I never went back. Eventually you can figure out ways to play most things using rest-strokes with the occasional deviation.

If you are really committed to a hybrid style then probably the best person to use as a model would be Bireli Lagrene, as he can do both. He uses a flat wrist and a lot more alternate picking when playing electric and switches back to rest-strokes on acoustic. And seems to mix elements of both styles as need be...but those are some big shoes to fill! Most of us struggle mastering one style.

Good luck!

'm
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    also, try to find fingergings that make it easier for you right hand.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • patrolpatrol Greece,Athens✭✭✭ Eimers & Goulielmos Antique
    I saw this video and I had the question...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Qn_OK1kuU

Τhe way he plays with the right hand is Gypsy Style?
  • SalieriSalieri Europe, Romania✭✭✭
    I see that he haves a little influences at downstrokes, but he dosen't play downstroke when change the strings for all time, and the position of wrist is not in gypsy style. I think that Michael gives you more informations :D
    140annl.png
    Visit my YouTube profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/Xiphosss
    Vive Django!
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    patrol wrote:
    I saw this video and I had the question...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Qn_OK1kuU

Τhe way he plays with the right hand is Gypsy Style?

I met Tolga when I lived in A'dam....no, he doesn't use the pure rest-stroke technique. He plays in his own way.

You should be watching:

A lot of people ask this...but generally I've noticed it's best to just commit to the Gypsy Picking for an extended period. It's really hard to master the motions if you try to mix it with another technique. Your muscle memory gets confused and you often end up with worse technique then you started with. This doesn't happen to everyone, but most people do much better if they can really focus on the rest-stroke style exclusively for at least 6 months.

If you are really committed to a hybrid style then probably the best person to use as a model would be Bireli Lagrene, as he can do both. He uses a flat wrist and a lot more alternate picking when playing electric and switches back to rest-strokes on acoustic. And seems to mix elements of both styles as need be...but those are some big shoes to fill! Most of us struggle mastering one style.
    Michael, many thanks for the detailed reply. I 've thought about it for a while and I think that the best thing for me at this moment would be to go on with my alternate picking studies but also play some exercises from Gypsy Picking (namely the basic rest-stroke patterns, the tremolos, and the three-note sweeps but NOT the horizontal arpeggio stuff or anything that depends too much on the "hit every new string with a downstroke" principle) every two days. I've been doing that for about 10 days and the results are encouraging, the only problem being that I use completely different hand/wrist positions for the two types of picking.

When I feel that I have developed a reasonably solid alternate-picking technique, I will certainly commit to Gypsy picking for a long period, as I am totally convinced that this is the best way to achieve consistent tone on an acoustic instrument.

Thanks again :D