DjangoBooks.com

Question about Dell'Arte finish

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
Does anyone know what Dell'Arte uses for a finish on their higher end guitars? I have a 2005 special order Anouman - short scale 14 fret D hole, maple back and sides, simply beautiful. I stupidly put some nasty gouges into the top finish and get sick every time I look at them. My luthier started to work on them but is puzzled by the finish and keeps changing his mind about what it is. Thought at first it was a thin poly, then decided it was nitro, now is not sure. It seems to be reacting in unexpected ways.
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• fraterfrater Prodigy
    Why don't you ask John Kinnard directly? Or ****... it seems the best thing to do.

http://www.johnkinnard.com/

http://www.****/contact.php
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Actually I did that, too, both John and Alain. Just blanketing the world with the question to see who comes up with the answer first.

And with any luck, it will be the right one!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Since you' re exploring this matter, could you please inquire what kind of finish did Antonio Stradivari use? I know a couple of luthiers here who'd like to know... :)
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I understood it was Turtle Wax.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
    Just got the definitive word on the Dell'Arte from Alain:

"The finish on your guitar was at the time nitro cellulose lacquer."

and

"I am very partial to this model, we now make it in the Favino size and bracing. With the short scale it is a killer too! "

No word yet on Stradivarius, so I'm sticking with the Turtle Wax theory until someone comes up with something better.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
    Just to confuse things still further, John Kinnard wrote back to say that at the time this guitar was built (2003), they were transitioning from nitro to urethane, and he wasn't sure which one was used on mine. My guy is pretty sure now that it is nitro.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • The LosThe Los San DiegoNew
    Dude... that is one beautiful guitar. If you ever consider selling it... (whistles innocently)