DjangoBooks.com

Bridge recommendation for Jorgenson DG-300, etc...

Hey folks,

I posted this in the UK forum, so forgive the dual posting...

I just got a used Jorgenson and want to get another bridge on there cuz the stock one isn't doing it for me. The guitar sounds a little "soft" and I know some of this is due to the bridge. Either the height of it or something else. I want more bark and volume out of the guitar and definitely want to be able to dig into the notes more without it crapping out on me. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good, but I think it's capable of much more given a good setup and possibly a new bridge.

So... Does anyone have recommendations for a good replacement bridge? I know the usual suspects, like the Duponts and Dell Arte and I guess having a custom one made is also an option, but I'm not sure which height bridge to get for this guitar. I know some of it is down to personal preference, but there must be some general guidelines. On that note, does anyone have recommendations for a good luthier in the Seattle, WA area who knows how to work on these guitars and could set the guitar up with a new bridge?

Also, what tonal benefit, if any is there to swapping the stock tailpiece for say, a DR? Do most change it out to eliminate rattles. Mine doesn't rattle so far, so I'm not inclined to replace it unless it will improve the guitar's sound.

- Jason

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I used a #2 Dupont for my Jorgenson and it great. I just had to fit it to the guitar and it was good to go.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    ...and I've heard that Dusty Strings does a good job, though I'm on the East Coast. Plenty of Seattle folks here, though, so I'm sure they'll steer you right.

Best,
    Jack.
  • GadjangoGadjango New
    How much bigger (taller) is the Dupont #2 from the stock bridge? Did swapping it out improve the sound quite a bit? Did you install it yourself, or have someone local do it?

I will try Dusty Strings, though I think their prices are crazy high. They are asking $800 for regular Gitanes and their CD's are way overpriced as well. I know they provide a valuable role in the community, but I wish they weren't the only game in town for that stuff. I think they charge an arm and a leg to work on guitars too. I hate paying a lot of dough for mediocre work, but if they do a good job with these guitars, I'll pay it.
  • djohndjohn Philadelphia, PANew
    Why do you think the bridge needs to be replaced?

My Gitane DG-300 came with a fairly high bridge. Have you put Argentine-type strings on it?
  • GadjangoGadjango New
    Well, either it needs to be replaced or shimmed, one or the other. The guitar has a good tone in and of itself, but it's a little soft sounding and when I dig into a note while picking it frets out a little bit.

To put this in perpective, I am still learning the picking technique so it's not like I have a monster right hand.

Maybe it's just a set up thing, but I can't help thinking a better bridge could help.

Oh and yes, it does have Argentines on it. 10's I believe.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Gadj,

I fit and build all of my own bridges now. And yes the Dupont (or any other correctly built bridge) makes a major change for the better in tone. If you are in the Seattle / Tacoma area I would be glad to talk with you about some options that might save the cash of having Dusty strings do the work. PM me if your interested in talking more.

Cheers,
    Josh