DjangoBooks.com

Buying an electric guitar

Hi,

I'm looking to buy an electric jazz guitar, but I need some help because I don't know a lot about them. I want to be able to use it in stead of my Selmer style acoustic for playing amplified, because I don't like the sound of an amplified acoustic. And naturally I also like Django´s electric stuff. I'm also into George Benson, I like his sound. I feel my Fender Strat isn't really going to do the trick.

I've already tried the Epiphone ES175, which I liked tone-wise (and it looks awesome!) but it has two pick ups, and I feel that gets in the way of the gipsy picking style. I was constantly hitting the pick up with my Wegen. And I'd never use the bridge pick up anyway. There seems to be no single pick up version.

It has to work for gipsy rhythm playing as well, which I feel the Epiphone did. I would prefer it to have some acoustic volume as well. Price range €300-500.. I know it's not much, but it's all I can afford, and I know there's a lot of fine guitars in that price range (the Epiphone for example), I just have to find the right one.

Oh yeah and a cutaway would be preferable!

Can anyone help me? Or am I on a mission impossible?
Thanks in advance!
Simon

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Hi there, I recently looked at some Hagstroms which I think were in your price range. One is of mainly mahogany construction, one pickup and - in my humble opinion - sounded quite woody and fruity.

Sorry I cant remember the mosel number but I will check it out later and post the details
    always learning
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Out of your price range but Peerless guitars are quite impressive...
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I looked into budget archtops a few months ago as well.
    The Epi's OK but not great... especially the finish. I saw some Ibanez that had great workmanship, they are called Artcore and there's a lot of models available and they are not expensive.
    http://www.ibanez.com/product.aspx
    The Af75 is nice
  • HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Arch top guitar preference is a very personal thing. Sometomes what sounds good when playing by yourself won't sound as good when playing with others.

I had 2 Ibanez Artcores and found the one with a bit of maple in the neck worked better. Basically it came down to bass notes from b flat and lower in pitch. With maple in the neck, these notes sound tighter and truer. The downside with Epiphone and Ibanez guitars are that they are electric guitars and don't sound well acoustically. The Ibanez Artcores has a very hot bridge pickup that tends to distort a bit more easily as well. Anyway that is just a thought regardinf these arch tops.

I have really been impressed with the Eddie Durham model arch top available through Sam Ash Music. I really believe that they are built at the Epiphone factory and they have a really loud acoustice tone with round wound strings. Almost as loud as my Dell Arte. They aye $400 with case and have an L5 type of body. It has a floating neck mini-humbucker pickup that makes it sound pretty bright.
    HCQ